Friday, February 8, 2019

What is It About Thursdays?

I don't know what it is, but there seems to be something about Thursdays that make them prime marketing days.  Now, this is only my experience and the evidence is pretty much anecdotal, but bear with me.

Point One:  When I went to sign up for a marketing spot, all of the Thursdays for a month were already booked solid.

Point Two:  The last advertising campaign I did was on a Thursday.  This one was on a Tuesday.  I sold almost twice as many books then as I did now.

Point Three:  I've been marketing in the FB Groups all week.  Best day this week?  Thursday.

Not sure what the dealie-bob is.  I mean, Tuesday has been trad-pub's usual release day, but other than that, I haven't heard anything about any other day being anything special.  Maybe I'm just not in the know. 

Speaking of Tuesdays, I was cautioned early on in this self-pub thing against releasing books on a Tuesday.  Something about not wanting to compete with the trad-pub releases.  :shrug:  I don't think I've ever released on a Tuesday, but I generally release books when they're ready to go.  Fly and be free and all that.

It seems to me that marketing efforts on Friday nights don't do very well.  I tried that last time and crickets.  Although, I have released on a Friday and that day seems as good as any other.  Then again, release days are not big selling days for me.  Go figger.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what it is about Thursdays.  All I know is that if that's the day to sell more books, I'll be scheduling my marketing heavily around that day of the week.

Any ideas?  Do you buy more books on a Thursday?  Could that be a day when people are more inclined to look at advertising?  Could it be people looking ahead to what they're going to read over the weekend?  Could it be that Thursday are right before payday, so people are looking for deals? 

1 comment:

  1. I think that maybe it's the upcoming weekend thing. They start making plans on Thursday, check the weather, start packing, whatever. *shrug* Who knows? I've never tracked sales by day of the week. Maybe I should start, but that would mean and Excel sheet and more time for, what would be for me, procrastination.

    I usually try not to release on Tuesdays, though my trad pub books release that day. And yeah, you're competing with all the big names/publishers on that day.

    My advertising on a Monday got me 682 downloads of a free book that is also on Kindle Unlimited. I didn't haven't seen any sell-through, nor a big uptick in pages read. OH well.

    I need a nap but I'm gonna put real clothes on and go make a Starbucks run after 2. Because I'm a big fat sucker for Starbucks "games."

    Have a great weekend and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete