Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Chili and Writing Books

It's chili day here on the Sanderson Ranch.  Now, you may be asking yourself what chili has to do with writing.  Well, I'll tell ya...

I make chili like I write books. 

I have no recipe for making chili.  Oh, I could tell you the basic ingredients, ballpark the time involved, etc. but when you were done, your chili would not be the same as my chili.  I do it all by taste.  And when I'm done I have a bowl of awesomeness. 

I always put saltine crackers in my individual serving, sometimes I sprinkle it with corn chips or shredded cheese.  Hubs does Parmesan sometimes, which is just wrong, but once it's in his bowl, it's his chili, so more power to him.  He's like the reader there.  Once the book is out of my hands, it's up to the end user to interpret it as it applies to them.

Ahem.

The point is that each batch of chili is unique.  As is each book.

When I start a story, I have in my mind what the end result will be - a book.  And that's about it.  I never know ahead of time how the story will go.  A little of this, a little of that.  Fingers crossed it turns out tasty. 

And they're written to my tastes.  Savory and flavorful.  Not much spice, but ultimately satisfying. 

I can only hope readers with the same tastes will find my books and enjoy them, too.  ;o)

How do you like your chili?

1 comment:

  1. You make chili like I do so I think that's a good thing. And we all know how messy my process is when it comes to writing so yeah, I see the analogy.

    FYI, I like my chili hot, spicy, with beans, onions and lots of meat. (Sort of like my books. LOLOL). LG and I both eat ours on a nest of Fritos topped with chopped onions, shredded Cheddar, and mustard.

    ReplyDelete