Friday, February 1, 2019

Getting Into Writing Shape

Writing, like any other strenuous exercise, requires you to keep at it constantly.  Otherwise, your muscles atrophy and then when you try to get back at it, you find yourself tired and sore after what used to be a regular workout.  And then, when faced with the pain that comes after a hard workout, you generally don't want to do it again any time soon.

Now, I'm not just talking about the pain of unused hand muscles* - although that can be a trial in itself.  I'm talking about losing the stamina required to sit at your desk, thinking up words and sentences and paragraphs in a logical order.  That stuff can tire you right the hell out, if you aren't used to it.


When I'm in top form, I can easily whip out a couple thousand words at a sitting.  Now?  I'm doing a couple thousands words, but about every other day.  I'm totally out of shape for this.  So, I need to work the muscle until it's back in shape.

Which is something I should've been doing all along, but you know how it goes.  I spent so much time on editing last year that I let my writing cells get all atrophied and junk.  Derp.

What I really need to do is set up a work out schedule.  Write for an hour every day until I can increase the number of sessions per day and the length of those sessions.  And yes, dozens of authors say write every day, but I'm a mule and usually only go in a direction I want, not one I'm being pulled in.  Also derp.

Of course, the cure for all of this is to never let yourself get in this position.  But shit happens.  Life intrudes, other publishing things pull your attention away, the cat gets sick, the yard needs work, the... Well, you get the gist.

How are your writing muscles?  Are they in shape?


*I don't know about you, but the morning after a lengthy writing session finds me with sausage fingers that don't bend well let alone type.  All I can say is 'Aleve and Aspercreme'.

3 comments:

  1. In my case, it's the carpal tunnel and swollen feet. And I'm jealous. A coup-le of thousand words every other day? Lucky dog. I'm doing maybe 250 to 500. I gotta get off this unmerry-go-round. Like...today! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to blame arthritis, but honestly it's my brain muscles that are out of shape. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm better now with a mouse...my touchpad was really messing up my hands and wrists. Hope you can work your way up to more writing...that's probably the best way to do it!

    ReplyDelete