Friday, February 22, 2019

Thinking of Series Titles

I am not good with series titles.  I mean, SCIU kind of lent itself a title, as did the Dennis Haggarty Mysteries, but let's face it Once Upon a Djinn is kind of lame.

So, here I am working on the sequel to Sleeping Ugly and it occurred to me that I have no series title.  I had thought 'Pretty Damned Ugly' would be a cool series title, but now I'm all like meh.  Jeni's pretty and she's ugly, but she's not damned.

The 'Pretty Ugly Series'?  Might work, but it's just not blowing my skirt up.

'Ugly Tales'?  You know, since the titles riff off classic fairytale titles?

'Pretty Ugly Tales'...


Ugh, it all sounds lame to me.  But we're our worst critics, aren't we?

'The Magical Mystery Tour' just occurred to me, but it's too Beatle-y.  And, frankly, I hate the Beatles.  (Okay, Ringo was cool.  And George was okay.  Can't stand Paul or John.  Or their music as a group.)  But these are 'magical mysteries' of a sort.

Argh. 

If I can't think of anything better by the time Ugly and the Beast gets close enough to start marketing efforts, I'm going with 'Pretty Ugly Tales'.  :shrug:

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?  How are you with series titles?  Do they make any difference when you're buying books?

And before I totally forget, Unequal is free today.  If you haven't already grabbed a copy, this would be the time to do it.

2 comments:

  1. My series titles evolve. Penumbra Papers took forever! Moonstruck and Hard Target came easy. Red Dirt Royalty was a collaberation.

    How about looking at "curse" side of things. Just know I still have med head and I don't know if this is a full series or a trilogy? But off the top of my frazzled brain:

    1. Curses Trilogy/Series
    2. Cursed Again

    Or... I got nuttin' else. Pretty Ugly works too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terrible at series names. I sorta want to change the Mindbender's, but I have no idea what to change it TO.

    Wishing you luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete