Friday, October 25, 2019

Well, Derp

So, I went to the NaNoWriMo site.  Of course, I'd forgotten my password and had to reset it.  I couldn't even remember the last time I did NaNo.

Literally.

According to the NaNo site, I wrote a YA Fantasy in 2013.  I don't even remember writing a YA fantasy, but according to them, I won with over 51K words.  For a moment, I wondered if someone had hacked my NaNo and written a book under my name.  Seriously.  But that's not bloody likely, so I checked the keeper of all things - my blog.  Sure enough, back in 2013, there I am talking about this YA fantasy I was working on in November of that year. 

I had no clue.  I eventually found it in a file marked Untitled YA Fantasy.  Derp.  Naturally.  I opened the file and started to read it.  I only vaguely remember it, but more like a book I once read than a book I freakin' wrote. 

I jumped to the end.  Sure enough, never finished it.  I left myself with a note to figure out what the MC's decision is. 

Needless to say, I'm mortified.  I can't believe I wrote 55K words on a book and I don't even remember doing it.  Couldn't tell you what the plot is.  Don't remember the characters.  Don't remember the world.  I'm searching my memory banks and it's just not there. 

Brain damage.  That's all I can throw out in my defense. 

Of course, 2013 was the year I moved and a lot of crap was going on - most of which I don't remember either. 

It's like forgetting one of your children.  Lucky for me, I only have one.  Kind of hard to forget one.  Books?  I've published 13 and written at least a half-dozen I haven't published.  So, this one apparently fell into the black hole of my brain.  And right now, I do not have time to think about it or look at it.  I'm supposed to be getting myself in a place where I can write a new book.

Hopefully, this new one will be memorable.  Derp.

3 comments:

  1. I can totally see that happening, especially with a move going on and a crazy year! Plus...6 years ago. I don't remember much about last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you. I've lost whole years, not a clue what happened back then. And I mean recent years. And I don't have brain damage, unless you count depression.

    Once NaNo is over, and you are finished with that book, you might want to go back to the YA and see if it's worth editing and completing. Knowing how well you write, I bet it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I didn't have an Excel sheet and notes in Scrivener, I wouldn't remember characters or plots either. That's why I can reread books--even those I really like. I forget most of the details. So yeah, I totally get you!

    ReplyDelete