Friday, November 23, 2018

Using Amazon Perks More Effectively

Okay, so if you sell books exclusively through Amazon, you know you have these perks you can utilize to help boost sales - chiefly, the Kindle Countdown Deals (KCD) and the free book days. 

Once every 90 days, you can choose to discount your books or have them free for up to 7 days.  With the discount, the days have to be in a row.  With the free, you can sprinkle them around.  Every 90 days you can use one or the other, but not both. 

I've used the KCD and the free promotions, but probably not to the best of their abilities.  And I don't always remember to use them every 90 days. 

The sales I had for Project Hermes, Sleeping Ugly, and Blink of an I were built to use up my KCD before my 90 days ran out. It's a use it or lose it kind of thing.  You get a whole 'nother 7 days when your clock resets, but you can never get back the days you didn't use.  So, I figured, why not use them.

Part of my problem was not keeping good track of when my 90 days were for each of my books.  So, yep, built another spreadsheet.  (It's what I do.) 
As you can see, I've got a line for each of the books (sorted by series), with columns full of dates - when my exclusivity starts, when it ends, and the next one and the next one.  I also mark when I've used my perks by putting a solid box around the date I'm currently in.  So I can plan accordingly. 

The other day, Silver accused me of being organized.  I scoffed.  Traditionally, I have been about the least organized person I could think of.  But, I guess, as I got older and had more time on my hands, I did become organized.  Hence the spreadsheets.  :shrug: 

Being organized has helped a lot with this business part of writing.  (Not so much with the writing part of writing.  That's still an unorganized mess.)   I'm probably still not using all the perks to the best of my abilities - say, getting advertising set up in time for it to be effective - but I'm working on it. 

I hope this helps give you some ideas on how to keep track of this stuff.  Use it if it helps and if it's no use to you, thanks for reading all the way down to here anyway.

Do you use the perks?  Any ideas on how to better utilize them?


3 comments:

  1. I've never used the countdown deal, but I've used the free promotion a couple of times. Deciding to use it was also a spur of the moment decision both times before I lost them.

    I am running a free promotion right now that I am putting minimal effort into. I did a goodreads post and a twitter post, but that's it for advertising. I have minimal followers (single digits), but I used the twitter hashtags for promoting a free ebook. Yesterday I had 15 downloads and then 1 so far today. For myself, I consider that very succesful. I don't plan on spending money on this advertisement, so if that's all I get I will be happy with it.

    I do also have two of those Amazon AMS ads going, but I haven't figured out how to use those properly yet to result in any sales.

    I imagine if you remember ahead of time to set up advertising and are willing to spend the 5 to 50 dollars on each site you use, you could see some big numbers. That could shoot a book high up the charts and then get you sales and kindle unlimited reads after the promotion is over.

    The small amount I did put me at a peak of #6,900 in the free category, but #2 in my genre. So if you don't mind and are willing to pay the advertising sites, you could get a lot of visibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used both but not regularly and I really need to put more thought into my marketing. I so totally suck at it and being organized is so alien that I fumble often and frequently. Ah well.

    I think I want to be you when I grow up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually forget to use those perks. Hmm, maybe I should set up a spreadsheet.

    And I agree with Silver - I wish I were half as organized as you are!

    ReplyDelete