Monday, March 23, 2020

Writerly Things to Do Amidst the Chaos

Since we're all pretty much stuck at home, which isn't actually a real difference from how writers usually live, here are a few writerly things we can be doing amidst this chaos.

- Writing/editing.  I'll admit I'm having a tough time with this one because my brain is in a non-writing place right now, but I'm going to try to get back on the horse this week.

- Marketing.  Have a sale.  Make things free.  Throw some ads up on social media.  Again, not in a place personally to do this yet, but I'm going to try once things settle down - so I'll probably address this after Wednesday.

- Create some new marketing materials.  If you're into doing it yourself, go for it.  If you've never done it, give it a try.  

- Re-evaluating your blogs/websites/online presences.  If you think your stuff needs a makeover, now would be the time to do it.

- Evaluate your covers.  Are they still right?  Could you make them better and more saleable?  Now would be a good time to change them if you can.

- Do your taxes.  If you haven't done them yet, now is the time to get them done.  The federal government is supposedly going to be throwing some cash our way and the word is that they'll be sending it to you the way you chose when you did your taxes.  If nothing's changed from last year, no problem.  If it has, get your taxes done ASAP.

- Organize your stuff.  Get all your physical stuff into some kind of order to make the days ahead easier to deal with.  Get all your digital stuff organized, too.  Now would be a good time to delete files you're not using or going to use.  Once you've done that...

- Back up your files.

- Clean your work space.  I know I have this one desk drawer I just kind of throw things into that could really use a good cleaning.  Plus, the dust bunnies are starting to take over.  And my monitor could use a wipe down again.  And my computer's intake fan could use a good swabbing again.  Dust... it's a killer.

- Make plans for the coming weeks/months.  Look ahead to some things you can do once this settles down - plan sales and marketing events, work out a writing schedule, set goals.

Now, as you may know, I'm great at giving suggestions but not so great at following them, so how much of this list I will actually do remains to be seen.  This list is as much a poke in my butt as it is a nudge for you. 

We'll get through this.  Hang in there.

What are some things you're doing while you're on forced isolation?

Oh, and by the way, the whole 'stay inside' thing is only to keep you away from other people.  If you're in a place or can drive to a place where there are no people, get your ass outside and soak up some fresh air.  Humans need sunlight and fresh air as much as any other living thing.



3 comments:

  1. Excellent advice here!

    I've been trying to roll with the fact that my empty nest is filling up again. :) College kid back home. I had a hard time focusing for a few days, but I think I'm back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only is doing some of the things on your list. She's in and out of her office--mostly out and home with Baseball Boy (his high school is closed and no practice/games to coach, but he'll be recording on-line classes for his students soon) and Stormy because his school also remains closed after spring break. LG is doing small maintenance things. This is appreciated, if disruptive.

    The libraries are closed to walk-ins (on-line reads/downloads still available) and I've considered taking all my contest-read books I didn't shelve and building a Little Free Library and sticking it out in my yard. We'll see how badly I want to procrastinate on the writing stuffs.

    Evidently, Kindle Unlimited is running a 30-day free trial. Free books but authors still get paid if you read. (I know you're aware, BE, but a mention to others who might not be familiar with the program.)

    Naps. I keep saying I'm going to get one and then get distracted by various stuffs--usually not writer related. I should start collecting procrastination memes. Oh, wait. I have! LOLOL

    Okay. Time to get on with my day. Later, tater. And go fishing this week. Outdoors. No people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had plans to work on illustrations today, but Mom needed me to do computer stuff for her. It should have been a 1/2 hour job.

    Instead, it took 2 hours -- not because of the job, but because my glasses frames fell apart. It took that long to find the escaped spring (who knew glasses have springs?!?), wiggle it back into place. It didn't fix the problem, though. Now my frames are taped together. And Waco is in shutdown. Who knows when I can get them fixed -- or worse, replaced. Sigh.

    But now that I've had my whine, it's time to get back to work! :-)

    ReplyDelete