Friday, February 28, 2020

Updates and Stuffs

I'm getting excited.  This is so close to being a real thing.  Since I already have a cover, all this is going to take is the final bits of editing and proofreading, and a blurb (gah, blurbs), and it'll be ready to send off into the world.  Woohoo!  and barf.

I really have no idea what I'm going to write for the blurb.  I'll have to put on my blurbing cap and hammer this out.  Soon.  :panics a little:

Speaking of blurbs, I'm not necessarily good at writing them, but I can spot a bad one for someone else's book like a laser guided missile.  And I've seen some stinkers lately.  They're usually written with either too much information or not enough.  When I'm looking for a book to buy, I need basic plot, main character, conflict.  I do not need to know their life story up to this point.  Probably something I should keep in mind when I write my own blurbs. 

Oh, and for the love of all you find holy, PROOFREAD your blurbs before you post them in public.  Nothing turns me off of a book quicker than a blurb with errors that could've been fixed if the author had taken the time to go over the damn thing again.  If someone can't proof a paragraph or two, I can't hold out much hope for an entire book.  Harsh, but true.  Of course, I'm more forgiving in a manuscript.  60-100K words to proof is a lot harder than a couple paragraphs.

Over the weekend, someone read Blink of an I in KU.  This morning, there's a new rating for it on Goodreads.  A 3-star.  Which would bum me out except I hopped over to their page and it seems like all the books they read they give 3-stars or less.  I'm taking it as a win.  It's all about perspective. Anyway, I hope they enjoyed it enough to read Unequal next.

Speaking of Unequal, it'll be free for a few days next week.  And I set up a sale for the SCIU books for the week after. 

Once I get an idea of publication dates and junk for Ugly and the Beast, I'll probably have a sale for Sleeping Ugly to kick off the release.  Woohoo.  I'm hoping for end of March, but time frames depend on other people and since other people are doing me a favor, I'm not pushing anyone for a speedy delivery.  They have lives, too, and their own work, and I'd be a shit if I was all like 'I need this yesterday'.  Cuz I don't.  It'll happen when it happens.  I'm totally chill.

While my beloved elves are busy marking up my manuscript, I'll be writing Cinder Ugly.  I posted the beginning of it over at Silver's blog on Wednesday, if you're interested. 

Any questions?  Got anything you want to update the world about?  How's things?




2 comments:

  1. Some things leaving me scratching my head, other things just make me Ranty McAngrypants. 🤬 Moving on.

    BETRAYAL is playing mindgames. Every time I think I get a handle on the new part, the paradigm shifts. I just need to grab the wolf by the tale. 😉

    Yeah...and what's sad? I've seen typos in the blurbs of best-selling authors. 🙄

    My sales and page reads have zoomed this month. Picked up some new readers that are devouring my backlist. April will be a good month. I just have to hold on by my chinny-chin-chin until then, and I hope have something new out before.

    Not much else goin' on in my world. Life as usual. Beats the alternative, I suppose. Have an awesome weekend. Supposed to be warm so maybe you can get some fishing time! Later, tater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so excited for you!

    I've read the trick to writing blurbs is to keep them a lot shorter than we think they ought to be. Maybe just write about the inciting event?

    Hard work any way you look at it. Wishing you luck!

    ReplyDelete