Monday, September 23, 2019

Do As I Say Not As I Do

There's a line in Alice in Wonderland (the old Disney animated one, if not also the book) about giving very good advice but seldom ever following it that I think applies to me.

I'm awesome at giving advice.  And from the comments I've gotten, it seems like it's very good advice.  I am, however, horrible at following my own advice.  I'm also good at giving pep talks to inspire others, but not so much good at pepping myself up. 

Not for any length of time anyway.

And you might be thinking I'm a hypocrite.  Well, I'm thinking it, too.  But I don't want my apparent hypocrisy to stop anyone else from succeeding where I am failing.

If you happen to find good advice here, follow it.  Pay no attention to the gal behind the curtain.  And as much as it's been drummed into my head to hate the phrase... 'Do as I say, not as I do.'

If something you read here inspires you to write by, do it.

If you found a piece of encouragement here, use it.

It doesn't matter if I'm following my own advice, if the advice helps you.  Who knows, you could be the next breakout indie writer who ends up read by millions - like Andy Weir

And I'll keep giving advice and pep talks and waving my pompoms in your face, and maybe someday all that will filter through into my own brain. 

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's easier to inspire others than it is to inspire ourselves! I love hearing about your promo process and writing process...it does always motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not a hypocrite. It sounds more like you're depressed, and it's so hard to break out of a depressive cycle.

    Keep giving us - and yourself! - pep talks. They will sink in eventually. Write when you can, and try to enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiration is where you find it. Using it? That's up to the individual. And yes, I always find something that makes sense here, though I'd visit here just because I like you. 😊

    ReplyDelete