Friday, January 25, 2019

Bored Bored Bored

The other day, I was reading a post over at The Mad Genius Club.  The writer was talking about being bored with his writing. And I recognized the symptoms.

Yeah, it's not something we talk about.  Because, ya know, readers might get the wrong impression - like we're bored so our books must be boring.  But we writers know that's not the case.  What we're talking about when we mention being bored refers to being bored with what we're currently writing.  (Ages away from publication here, folks.)

And I'm saying 'we' because, yeah, I'm bored, too.

As y'all know, my creativity well's been pretty damn dry lately.  And I've been stumbling around in the dark trying to figure out why.  This may be the answer.

Every time I think about any book I've got on my writing schedule - the books that NEED to be completed because they're in a series, etc. - I totally don't want to write them.  I feel like I've been there, done that.  And I can't think of anything new to write.  SCIU?  DH?  OUAD?  SU?  :yawn:  It's all been done.  :breaks into the refrain from a Bare Naked Ladies song:

Bored bored bored.  Garfield hanging on a screen door bored.

So, I'm been trying to shift my thinking over to something that won't bore the shit out of me.  Maybe it's time to hit that Arthurian UF I've been thinking about.  Or maybe, just maybe, it's time to revisit that SF with the evil space bunnies.  Neither of those would be boring.

The Arthurian UF is about the knights and villains of the myth coming to life inside various people of today and the heroes have to find Excaliber before the villains do or bad things will happen.  (You now, like apocalyptic bad.)  It's gonna be a lot of work, which might be why I left it after the opening scene.  Loads of research into the myths, etc.to get the characters right.  I mean, I inhaled everything Arthurian I could get my hands on once upon a time, but that was ages ago.

The bunny thing is about cute, fluffy - but totally evil - bunnies coming to conquer Earth and the farmer who fights them.  It'll be funny and quirky and crazy things will happen.  Writing that might be easier, even though I've never done SF.  It started out as a short story I was fiddling with years ago, but it's morphed into something larger in my head.

Either way, it can't hurt to try writing something different for a while.  Maybe it'll shake something loose and I can go back to writing the things I need to write.  :shrug:  Time will tell.   

Hopefully, sometime soon, you'll see me talking about progress on something.  It's been like 6 weeks since I did anything major in the writing/editing sphere and I'm starting to get the DTs.

Are you bored?  What can you do to shake yourself out of it? 

Update:  I sat down last night and wrote almost 1600 new words.  I only stopped because it's been so long since I wrote that my hands needed a break.  Then I went to bed and couldn't stop thinking about where the story was going to go and what would happen next.  Yeah, baby.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  Here's hoping this keeps up.

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo to new words! I'm never bored with your writing. Both projects sound great, but I love the idea of evil bunnies!

    Yeah, I think I'm bored with SR. I suspect it has a structural problem my subconscious is fretting about. But as long as the dressmaking book is fun, I'm sticking with it. It's guaranteed to have a better ROI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope the evil bunny thing turns into something viable for publishing.

      Yay for the dressmaking book! Let me know when it goes live so I can post about it. I hope your SR problems pass soon, though. I do love your fiction.

      Delete
  2. WOOT! And yeah, I hear you on the bored. Something must be in the air. I want to write totally unrelated stuff despite deadlines and contracts and the like. I'm going to have to compromise. Play with the fun stuff as a reward for writing the boring stuff and figuring out how to make it NOT boring to the reader.

    FYI, I can't wait to read either/both of those projects! I'm off to get some words done. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :sings: I can feel the boredom in the air tonight. ;o) Playing with fun stuff as a reward sounds like a plan. Maybe you should give yourself a taste of fun first, though. I don't think anything you write could be boring to the reader.

      If I write them, you will get them one way or another. I hope you got your words done yesterday. If not, there's always today. :hugs:

      Delete