Friday, June 1, 2018

Work is All Around

The other day I was sitting here bemoaning the fact that work is all around me.  I had a pile of work on the right side of my desk.  I had a pile of edits waiting to be input to the left of me.  And behind me was a whole house that needed cleaning.  (Still does.) 

A friend of mine commented on my bemoaning FB post about commiserating but having to leave for work in a few minutes.  And I joked about work being all around me and having to leave to not work. 

There are definite perks to working from home.  I can take off any time I want to.  I can go do other things when I need to.  I don't have to get dressed in outside wear and be presentable.  No makeup, no high heels, no pantyhose.  Ahhhh.

There are also definite non-perks.  I can never come home and forget about work like I used to when I held a job out there in the world.  I have to go elsewhere for that.  And my work hours are from the time I get up until just before I go to bed.  At any time during my awakeness, I could conceivably be working.  Today's workday could've started at 4:15am.  Yesterday's ended at 8pm when I knocked off to read for an hour before bed.

Sometimes I miss going off to work.  But that's rare.  And when I do miss it, I remind myself of all the downsides to working outside the home - traffic, other people, on my feet all day - and the feeling passes.

So, anyways, it's ten after six and it's time to get some household chores done so I can get to work.  My book is due at the editor today.  And I will have them done and to my editor before bed.

Do you work outside the home?  If you don't, do you miss it? 


2 comments:

  1. The only thing I miss about working outside is the paycheck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of miss it. For many of the same reasons. I've never worked harder than when I started working from home. And it took awhile for people to realize that I AM working. Also, all the spammy calls. What "No Call List?" And it's just not the land line, they come on my cell too. Thank goodness for caller ID!

    Hang in there! You'll get those edits done.

    ReplyDelete