Wednesday, April 19, 2017

I'm Not Excited

So, it's been a week since I posted here.  One would think that since I had a new release on the 7th that I would be all SQUEE and in your face and confetti, but it didn't happen.

Natural Causes is my 8th book.  When I published Dying Embers back in February of '15, I was all of the squeeing and celebrating.  Now?  Not so much. 

I was talking about this the other night with Hubs.  When he finished a long project at his work, he didn't squee and celebrate.  It was finished and he moved onto the next project.  It was his job.  Writing is my job.  You do your job, you get it done, you move on to the next bit of work. 

I know some other authors celebrate every book.  That's cool.  It's just not me. 

The problem, I guess, comes when I wonder 'if I don't celebrate it, will readers?'  If I'm not excited about a book release, how will I ever get readers excited about it?  I would hope they'd be excited because it something fresh and new for them.  It's neither fresh nor new for me.  I could try to fake it, but... yeah, that's just not me.  My FB post after I learned Natural Causes was available in the Amazon store?  "Well, it's live." with a link. 

Yeah, that was anti-climactic.  But that's me. 

Push a big rock up a hill.  Get it all the way to the top.  Walk back down the hill and starting pushing the next one up.  Woo.  No hoopla.  No fanfare.  (At least I'm not Sisyphus and the rock doesn't roll back down.  That would suck.)

The satisfaction is in getting the work done.  But, when you think about it, it's never really done.  There's just more work. 

Wow, that sounded depressing.  It wasn't meant that way.  I love the work.  If I didn't, I wouldn't put up with the crap.  I could easily get a job outside the house.  Or I could just fritter away all my time and not worry about sales and marketing and editing and cover art and... you get the gist.  The satisfaction then, in reality, is in completing the book and getting it out there for readers to read.  And in knowing there's another book waiting to go through the process again.  I think that's pretty exciting. 

Hopefully, when you see I put another book out, you get excited and buy it.  Sales excite me.  Woohoo. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. I barely manage to write a blog post on a new release. I'd much rather get on with the next book.

    Squeeeing is for the first couple of books. Or the last book in a series. Maybe. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got excited. I bought it. I read and enjoyed it and reviewed it. On to the next one! LOL

    ReplyDelete