Monday, April 24, 2017

Crime in the News... Or Not So Much

Yesterday I heard about a horrific story being in the news.  Two men lured a 22 yr old autistic woman into their home where they held her against her will, raped her, and beat her for 2-3 days. 

I say I heard about it being in the news rather than saying I heard it from the news or directly in the news because I heard about it third hand.  So I searched the internet for more information and found it on a local news station's site.

Now, before we go much further, I'll admit that I stopped following local news back in December.  Well, except for really local, as in rural SWMO, news.  The big network stations?  Nuh-uh.  Too much spin and not enough facts.  Instead, I watch the headlines in my FB newsfeed every day and if I see something that interests me, I google for more info.  I also sometimes go directly to google and type 'news' into the search and then click on News.  It's a long way around, but I find more reliable sources that way.

So, anyway, back to this horrible story.  It wasn't in the newsfeed.  At all.  I didn't see it at any of the major news networks when I searched for it after hearing about it third hand.  One story on the NBC affiliate out of Springfield.

Why?

Well, it could be because another story about two Hispanic men raping and beating a woman harshes the narrative they're trying to push - because one of the men was an illegal alien.  Sadly, it could be because shit like this happens so often in our country these days that it's not worthy of being on national news.  (Although why anyone with the last name of Jenner/Kardashian or with a speck of celebrity is news and not this is beyond me.)  It could even be that the news - and I use that word loosely these days - feels like they have more important things to spin for the American public than one autistic chick getting brutalized by two assholes over the course of a weekend.

Or maybe I really am living in a cave.  Have any of you heard this news story?

Well, anyway, apparently they picked the wrong autistic girl because this one still had the presence of mind to tell the police exactly what had been done to her - albeit through a child advocate since she reportedly has the mind of a 9 yr old.  The illegal is being held without bond and the other one is looking at $150,000 bond.  Fry 'em both, I say.

But that's me.

1 comment:

  1. Nope. Hadn't heart this one. Ditto on everything else. I vegged out all weekend, didn't watch the news at all.

    ReplyDelete