Wednesday, January 5, 2022

What's a Hermit to Do?

Last week sometime, a wildly popular (for his genre), money-making, indie author I follow was giving what he feels is the secret to his success - other than writing good books, that is.  It basically boiled down to making yourself visible and interesting on social media - in a non-marketing kind of way.  He says he rarely talks about his books on social media.  (Umm, not sure about that last one, but he does talk about more stuff  than his books, so maybe that's what he means.)  

Anyway, I read this.  And I immediately got depressed.  You know me.  I'm a hermit.  Sure, I'm sociable with the few people I know, but putting myself out there?  Umm... :crawls back under her rock:

This being a new year and all, though, I've been thinking about it.  I was way more social when I first published.  I was stopping at blogs and interacting with people and junk.  I even did some interacting on a forum or two.  Since then?  Yeah, the hermitude took over.

Oh, I'm still doing these blogs.  But I only stop at two or three others on a regular basis.  Maybe five, with only commenting on two or three.  Basically, I'm sitting here talking to myself and the few people who stop by.  

Now, I've never read this dude's books.  (They aren't in the budget.  Which is basically 0.)  They're probably pretty good.  People I respect have raved about them.  Maybe they're light-years better than my books.  :shrug:  Maybe it's just that he's out there.  And he is OUT THERE.  

And one thing this dude doesn't seem to ever worry about is pissing people off.  Which confuses me.  I worry about that all the time.  All. The. Time.  He's edgy.  He's loud.  He's opinionated.  And he doesn't care who knows it or how many times he gets his accounts suspended.  Me?  I speak my mind and then worry whether some asshole is going to report me and get my account blocked.  Or whether someone is going to get their undies in a wad and run over to Amazon to one-star all my books.  

Basically, I'm piglet.  As in, a very small animal.  I can't even comment on the dude's posts without feeling like the fat kid with cystic acne and thick glasses hiding next to the bleachers at the dance.  Hell, I can barely comment on the circle of friends' posts without feeling that way.  I try and without fail, I step on my tongue (err... fingers) and someone comes along to comment in such a way to insure I know I'm not part of their crowd.  

Hey, feels like high school.  Nearly thirty-four years later.  I am so screwed.

Okay, so what's a hermit to do?  Especially after nearly 7 years of publishing without being hardly social at all.  I mean, do I ease into the social sphere and spend countless hours/days/weeks getting to know folks?  Or do I jump in with both feet and be totally out there, who cares whether people like it, shock-jock writer?  

The easier answer is to throw money at it.  If I had money to throw, I'd throw it.  Since that's flat out, my choices are either get out there or resign myself to anonymity and the lackluster sales that go with it.

Anyway, I'm trying to comment more on FB and the blogs. And I need to get back to posting on MeWe.  I'll find the time or make the time.  

By the way, if you're here... Thanks.  You'll never know how much your continued support means to me.  If I ever make it big, I'll try to take you with me.

3 comments:

  1. No clue who the author is but it's obvious that he's big enough and secure enough $$-wise that he doesn't care. That, or he agrees with all the vocal alpha hotels whose stands are diametrically opposed to my own views, which I don't voice because, like you, I can't afford to get "canceled."

    LG and I were talking this morning about winning the huge, honkin' lottery today. You know, what we'd do with it. And one thing we voiced simultaneously was stand up to alpha hotels and retaliate using their own tactics, which would mean giving a voice to those like us who remain mostly silent in public forums. Anyway...

    MeWe. I have few contacts there, most of them are questionable. Sadly, it's mostly political now but at least my side of politics don't get squashed like they do everywhere else. Other forums that are springing up also seem to be for viewpoints and poiltics. Me? I just want to connect with people who read books. Who want to talk about books and who might consider reading my books. Sadly, the only thing I've seen touted lately is the "BookTok" craze where authors do TikTok videos about their books and their lives. *full-body SHUDDER* I hate TikTok and the idea of having to be spontaneously creative--and like putting on makeup, fixing my hair, and wearing real clothes for 2 minutes? Nope.

    It's a conundrum and one I share with you. If we win the lottery, maybe I'll throw money at a FB/Instagram/Twitter type forum just for book people. Call it Bookit. Or something.

    Anyway, once again, we are on the same page and same headspace. Which doesn't surprise me. Hang in there. And your last statement? Ditto, babe. Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's conservative, so it's the former. He's big enough he doesn't care. Plus, I think he still has a day job that pays well. Or the degrees to get him a good paying day job if the writing goes bust.

      Delete
  2. Half the population -- literally -- is conservative, so he won't step on any toes. The progressives won't have ever heard of him.

    I'm a hermit, too. Totally. I even dropped out of my costuming group, and they are my best customers. Your blog is pretty nearly my only social media, and some days I don't have enough social in me to post even a hello.

    If I make it big (snickers at that one) or win the lottery (um, I don't play) I'll send you a big advertising budget!

    ReplyDelete