Friday, January 7, 2022

Picking Flowers Off the Wallpaper

In the interest of potentially finding more people to read the books I write, I'm beginning the journey of trying to be more sociable online.  (There's not much I can do about being more social in person.  I'm a hermit, for pitysakes.)

So, here's what I've been doing this week:

I've been commenting more on other people's posts.  It's not much and I'm not being especially profound, but if I have something nice to say, I say it.  "Way to go."  "That book sounds intriguing.  Thanks for posting about it."  

I friended like 3 more people and I'm looking for people to friend in the comments sections.  So it's not willy-nilly or friending without reason.  If they make a comment and it sounds like someone I might enjoy being around online, I send them a friend request.  Hopefully, they find something of value in me, too, and accept my requests.

I'm trying to remember to post on the blogs every day.  Actually, I'm trying to have these posts scheduled at least the night before, so I don't fall down on the job again.  Last night, I fell down, so here I am at 7am creating a post.  Come on, coffee.

And I'm trying to remember to post links to my blog posts on FB and MeWe.  This was a thing I used to do, but got out of the habit of.  Back at it again.  :whipcrack:  

Like I said on Wednesday, the point of this is to gain more potential readers, BUT it's not to post more about my books - which is kind of counter-intuitive.  So, while I have posted a link or two about the books being in wide distribution, I'm making that a rare type of post.  Sprinkle it here or there.  See if anything grows.

I've thought about starting to be active in the forums at KDP.  I used to be very active at the AbsoluteWrite forums, but then they pissed me off and I left.  The thought of going back to that kind of thing sort of makes me nauseous, but if I have to do it, I have to do it.  I wouldn't mind having a little hangout online somewhere, where people of like minds can get together.  Unfortunately, with the world the way it is, finding people who have minds like mine is a crap shoot.  Is there anywhere a body can talk about life and writing without political stuff getting in the way?  Or is that like locating a unicorn?

Now, I realize that stating here why I'm suddenly being more social and the self-serving nature of my socialness could turn some folks off.  Sorry about that.  I could be all fake and junk and say I'm giving in to my herd-beast nature, but that just wouldn't be my style.  If I'm out there and I find people who could truly be my friends, then great.  If not, that's okay.  The purpose of this is to find readers.  Anything else is sprinkles on the icing on the cake.

I am what I am - a wallflower.  Or a flower on the wallpaper.  Time to pick it.  If I have to.  I guess.

(And yes, I know that 'picking flowers off the wallpaper' is a euphemism for being nuts, but I thought it was funny.  And I'm feeling a little nuts these days.)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm hunting that same unicorn. I don't think the place exists. Dammit. I really do feel like social media is a yawning black hole lying in wait to suck me in, suck out my brains, and spit me out the other side--a husk incapable of fulfilling what I really want to do, which is write and publish books that people magically find, read, love, review, and recommend.

    Nine times out of ten, I end up depressed, pissed off, and hating people whenever I have to deal with a social media feed. Heck, I'm even considering pulling my monthly support from NaNo and no longer participating because I find a section of their mission statement offensive. It's only $10 and it's supposed to support young writers but if their only pushing woke mythology, nope. And that makes me sad. I've participated--and "won"--for over ten years.

    Anyway. Yeah, I need to do the same, and I need to boost the signal for my writer friends but I break out into a cold sweat even considering going through a social media feed to find posts I can like and/or comment on. There's so much other stuff that gets in the way and bums me out so that I want to head to bed and pull the covers over my head.

    I've finally pulled myself out of a two-year long depression, partly brought on by social media. I don't want to go back there. I'm proud of you for getting out there. You are a braver person than I, Gunga Din! More power to you! Go get 'em! And I mean all that sincerely. I hope all the writing gods get together and shower you with sales! You are so talented and so totally deserve the sales and recognition.

    And now I'm crawling back into my care...

    ReplyDelete