Monday, October 12, 2020

Out the Other Side of Edit Hell

I did it.  I'm done.  And it's off to the proofers.  Those last twelve manuscript pages wound up garnering 2 full pages of notes.  I think I fixed everything.  We'll see.

Oh, I'm sure I'll have missed something.  A comma here.  A missing word there.  Little things.  I hope.  The big things, like plot holes, should have all been ferreted out and eradicated.  :fingers crossed:

In the end, this edit pass ended up with 20 pages of notes.  It took me 10 days - 9 of them in a row - to complete.  Right now, the book is 189 pages and 63785 words.  (Like I said, manuscript pages don't equal published pages.  When I format, I'll change the font and its size, paragraph spacing, sentence spacing, etc. and I don't format until the book is done-done.)

It's now in the hands of the proofers, so I can take a deep breath and chillax a little.  

Last night, after I sent it off, I played a little poker and read most of the rest of the book I was reading, and watched a whole TV show without working through the commercials and then missing stuff after the commercials were over because I forgot to unmute.  Then I went to bed and didn't lay there thinking about the book.  (I still laid there thinking, but it wasn't about the book.)

Today, I plan to not think about the book.  It'll be my day off.  Of writerly pursuits.  I have life stuff to do - like dusting and vacuuming.  If I feel like it, I might go fishing.  If I don't have pay-job stuff to do, that is.

Tomorrow, I'll figure out what I'm going to do while this book is out of my hands.  Work on one of my many unfinished books?  Definitely write the blurb.  Maybe some marketing stuffs.  And a sale or two. 

So, here I am, out the other side of edit hell.  :blinkblink:  It's kinda bright out here. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You've earned a day off, for sure! Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely go fishing. Do some chores. Get your sunshades on your face. Enjoy life for a bit. Then turn your mind back to writerly pursuits and the foderol that goes with it. I wish I was better at the foderol. Oh, well.

    Anyway, congrats on getting through editing hell. I know your pain and I'll see you on the other side of mine. LOLOL Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete