Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Derp

As I sat there Tuesday night, having just finished my pay-job work for the day and preparing to start my nightly writing session, a thought occurred to me.  I am about 27K words into this novel and I've hit what could easily be the lead-in for the climax.  Derp.  So, I either need to make some additional interesting stuff happen between the beginning and now, or I need another plot twist.  OR I need to stretch the end out for about another 25K words.  Umm, yeah. 

Now, I am not expecting the final word count to be as low as 50-55K.  If you've been here a while, you know I write pretty lean first drafts.  There's little description.  I have long stretches of nothing but dialogue, during which you can't tell who's talking.  (And I even I have a tough time figuring it out during edits sometimes.)

But yeah, my first draft of this thing should be around 50-55K.  Then it'll end up at around 60-65K and we'll all be happy.

Anyway, the last time I wrote, I was getting bored, so I threw in a plot twist.  Except I didn't ponder how major this twist was.  Until I sat down to write some more words.  Then DERP.

So, I took last night off writing so I could ponder what the hell I'm going to do.  One day off won't kill me.  I have until October 15th to get this done, so it's all good.  I mean, it's not all good.  But it will be.

Just another day in paradise.

2 comments:

  1. Been there. Done that. Still taking time off, but for small little bits and pieces that I have to fit into a whole for the Penumbra book. My problem is doing what my editor wants on the next RDR book. I have to figure out how to give him what he wants without my inner first responder melting down. (The opening of the book is set during a hurricane down on the Texas Gulf coast.)

    If this is paradise, I need a vacation someplace else. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, a major plot twist can be fun! Run with it!

    Gotta admit, your current problem is one reason I'm a confirmed plotter. My outlines start out several pages long and tend to grow as I get new ideas, then shrink when I don't have space to flesh out all those ideas. But they get shifted into my next-book file to get used later.

    (Um, yeah, I'll leave quietly now.) :-D

    ReplyDelete