Wednesday, August 22, 2018

An Even Dozen

With the publication of Sleeping Ugly on Saturday, I'm at an even dozen published novels now. 

Five years ago, I couldn't even conceive of having that many book published, let alone publishing them all myself.  Of course, about five years ago was when I sat myself down and did some serious thinking about where my career was headed and how I was going to achieve my goal of being published when I kept running into the traditional publishing brick wall. 

About this time, fourteen years ago, I finished the first draft of my first novel.  Back then, I had been so certain I'd snag an agent and a publisher lickety-split.  (Waits for laughter to subside.)  Nine years of writing books and querying later and I'd had quite enough, thank you very much.  I decided to quit beating myself into a bloody pulp and do all of it my own damn self.

It was scary as hell. 

It's still scary as hell sometimes.

But I wouldn't go back.  I can't even imagine what going back would be like. 

Anyway, it's been a wild ride.  Twelve books.  My first book just rolled over $1K in sales.  I'm hoping to make it to $3K overall by the end of the year.  And I've spent - with the last payments made for Sleeping Ugly - just over $10K.  That's about $833 spent per book on average.

Umm, yeah, following the dream ain't cheap.  But the hope is always there that a book or two (or all of them... heh) will take off and turn my 'in the red' to 'in the black'. 

I keep plodding forward.  Book #13 - Unequal - should be out by the end of the year.  Thirteen books over the course of four years.  Not a bad bit of production there.  And not one I'd likely see if I was traditionally published.  From the time I first send a book to my editor to the time it's available for you to read takes about three months.  Tradpub takes way longer, from what I understand.  Nope, not going back.

I'll keep publishing books as long I have money to pay my editor and cover artist.  And as long as I still have fingers to type.  Good lord willin' and the crick don't rise.


2 comments:

  1. And I'll keep buying and reading your books and hoping one (or all of them) will take off and you'll recoup those expenses.

    It takes from 12 months to 3 years the traditional route. Still, I've manged to get 7 out there with the 8th languishing on my computer for revisions. My self-pubs? Way more than that, though most of them are short. Still, it takes time to write, edit, revise, and upload. Neither path is for the faint of heart. There's a lot of frustration along the way. And some heartache. But when a new reader gives you a 5 star review, or a reader emails and says your book got them through a tough time, it's all worth it.

    Congrats on your dozen. I'm looking forward to your Baker's Dozen later in the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting a dozen books out there! I can't wait to read Unequal!

    ReplyDelete