Friday, October 6, 2017

Being a Hermit and a Writer

I may have explained before that I am, for the most part, a hermit.  Not literally, of course.  I mean, I don't live in a cave or anything, and I do occasionally have contact with the outside world.  I have to shop and stuff, so there's a bit of social interaction there.  And I socialize on the internet.  And there's Hubs.

But yeah, other than that, I'm a hermit.  And with the world the way it is, my hermitude is getting worse.

That's neither here nor there, though.  What I want to talk about today is how being a hermit clashes with being a self-published writer. 

Two and a half years ago when I started the self-publishing thing, I was faced with some crucial decisions about how to proceed with the marketing portion of the business.  I was encouraged to attend conferences and book signings and stuff.  :shudder:  The thought of being in crowds makes me want to crawl into a hole and pull the rocks down over myself.  I did do some face-to-face, one-on-one stuff.  I went to the local libraries and introduced myself and donated books.  I went around to the places where I was known and told the people I knew about my book. 

Since then, the people I knew at the libraries have left and everyone I know already knows about my books.  :shrug:  And I can't make myself start the process all over again.  Get out in the world and meet more new people?  :shudder:

I've pulled back on my internet stuff, too.  I mean, I was already shrinking away because socializing is exhausting, but last year's election hoopdedoo helped shove me further back into my figurative cave.  For a while there, it seemed like I was unfriending people on a daily basis.  I ran away from Twitter because I couldn't scan through the feed without wanting to hurl. 

And I'm pretty sure my sales have suffered as a result.  Being a hermit and a writer is not a path I recommend for anyone who really wants to succeed at this self-publishing thing.  (For varying definitions of 'success'.)  However, I can't make myself step up to the social things I would need to do to whip up more sales.  I guess when it comes down to it, I value my hermitage more than sales. 

So, as my profile on FB says, 'Here I sit, hermit-like, in my cabin in the woods banging away at the keyboard and creating worlds.'  Feel free to grab a cup of coffee and join me.  Online.  From your own hermit-holes.  ;o)

6 comments:

  1. Yeah. What you said. I'm still sort of pushing myself out there though but it's hard. Some days, there's not enough coffee in the world. Still... Let's not talk about sales. Mine are way down. I'm hoping it's the world and not me. We'll see.

    *wanders off for another cup of coffee and a shower*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :hugs: I hope you found your coffee.

      And no, we won't talk about sales. I think it is the world and not you, though.

      Delete
  2. I'm a hermit, too. Not remotely interested in social media or live events. Shudder!

    The only thing that helps my sales is to put another book up. Working on it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :hugs: The social media thing is way better than the live, but I totally get your disinterest. It's a freakin' minefield out there.

      Yay for more books! Keep plugging away!

      Delete
  3. I don't do any local events...I only speak when invited and then it's usually several hours away. I don't socialize on social media--just automatically upload my blog posts to FB and schedule tweets on Twitter. But I think it's enough...you have a nice 'home' online for readers to find you and I don't think it's necessary to do a bunch more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you do plenty, Elizabeth, and you've got an awesome reader base.

      Thanks for saying my 'home' is nice. And thanks for stopping by. :hugs:

      Delete