Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Rambling

My brain would not shut off last night.  This after a day of not getting it to turn on.  It happens.  More often than I'd like, frankly.  I did get the motor to crank over about 7:30pm and I wrote with wild abandon.  Then it was bed time.  And I went to bed because my hands were tired and I thought I'd written to a point where I could let it go for the night. 

Nope.  As soon as my head hit the pillow and I started to get comfortable, the brain was all like 'hey, what if this and this, and then this?'  I was screaming at it in my head to shut up shut up shut up.  Finally I distracted it with a song or two and fell asleep.

This morning, all of the things I was thinking are hiding.  Except one.  I wrote that down a second ago.  I hope to rebuild everything else at some point today.  Fat chance, I know, but I'll try.

Anyway, Early Grave rolled over the 50K mark last night and I'm creeping up to the climax, which is part of what my brain was tinkering with last night. 

It's like the cat.  She has all damn day to wash her fur.  Does she do it during the day?  Nooo.  She waits until we're in bed - either for a nap or for the night - and she goes to town, licking and slurping to beat the band.  Yep, that's my brain.  Ugh.

So, anyway, it's the 27th.  I'm still thinking I won't have this first draft done by the end of the month, but I should have it done shortly thereafter.  Fingers crossed.  I need more nights of wild writing abandon and less nights of meh. 

Okay, that's enough rambling out of me.  You got any rambling to let out?

1 comment:

  1. I've learned that when my brain starts tossing what if's at me, I need to write them down right then. If I do, the brain eventually gets off the hamster wheel and I can shut down. It's the nights when the brain is on the hamster wheel and doing nothing but screaming "WWHHHEEEEEE!!!" at me that makes me tear my hair out.

    I'm finally getting a solid handle on Roman's story. I'm cranking out about 2-2.5K words a day. I should be doing double that but I can only sit and type for so long. We're in our second day of steady rain--which we need!--so getting out and about hasn't been high on my list. I'm thinking chili for dinner but that necessitates getting out for Fritos and shredded cheese. Still...chili! I'll wait until this afternoon, see if it slacks off likes its supposed to.

    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, the play was fine...

    ReplyDelete