Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Crime in the News

Okay, so here's another crime news item for your consideration...

Recently, there was a shooting and an assault in the parking lot of a major retail chain.  Man shot.  Woman injured.  Man in custody.

My first though was 'domestic issue', and I was right.  The shooter was the woman's ex-boyfriend and baby daddy.  The shootee was the woman's current boyfriend.  And the woman was severely beaten by the shooter.

They found the dude.  A little while later, they found the gun.  Easy peasy, right?  One would hope.  But...

In a later interview with the shooter's ex-wife, we learn that this particular dude has a mean streak a mile long and a penchant for putting the blame on someone else.  And getting away with it.  "She was flirting with someone else" was apparently sufficient in one instance to get charges reduced after he beat his wife.  As if, even if it were true, her behavior was worthy of a beating.  Or the idea that because he had a single scratch on his face, she was also culpable in the 4-hour beating that she endured.

Now, don't get me wrong.  There are plenty of times when both parties are culpable.  And the above is only her side of the story.  But when you add in the various restraining orders against the dude, and his subsequent behavior against this other woman, it's easier to guess who's the aggressor in this case.

The ex-wife said she knew it was only a matter of time before he tried to kill someone.  She had been afraid it would be her.  Now, she's afraid he'll get out and come after her again, but she felt like she had to say something.

I haven't seen any more follow-up news stories on this yet, but I'll be interested to find out what happens.  And whether he tries to lay blame elsewhere again. 

Oh, and coincidentally, October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.  Remember, people who love you should NEVER hurt you.  Get out.  Get help.

Your turn.  Thoughts?  Opinions?  Would you speak up if it were you?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the court cases I could talk about...yeah. Not enough hours in the day. I hope he stay locked up this time.

    Of course, now I want to write a book about a group of vigilante women who go out after these scumbags and make those murders look like self-defense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they lock him up this time and throw away the key.

    I'd like to think I'd speak up, but shame messes with people's minds. I know I wouldn't stay in a violent 'relationship.'

    ReplyDelete