Sunday, December 30, 2012

Lucky Sevens Sunday Snippet - Djinnocide pg 97

Welcome back!

Today, as I was deciding which snippet to post, I realized AWJ is too undercooked to keep posting, so I'm jumping back to Djinnocide.

The rules are simple:  Go to any '7' page within the manuscript of your choosing - be it pg 7, or pg 27, or pg 207 - find a snippet you'd like to share and post it - either in comments here or on your own blog.

And if you play along, please let me know.  Also, link back here so everyone can see where this thing got started.  Thanks.

Here we have a snippet from a little farther along in the story, where the MC - Jo Mayweather - is with her old boyfriend Zeke, driving back to the warehouse rather than teleporting so they have time to talk. And they do have a lot to talk about...



“You really don’t understand what you’re poking your nose into.” His fingers gripped the steering wheel tight enough to turn his knuckles white. For the first time, he seemed to lose his razor-edged focus on the driving we both needed him to do. The bellowing horn of a tractor trailer pulled him back.

“Maybe we better wait to talk about this until later.” I didn’t need to waste the next few days’ worth of accumulated power healing multiple fractures.

“Probably would’ve been the best idea, but you asked,” he said. “Besides, this is a conversation best held where your guests can’t eavesdrop. The last thing the brethren need is a panic of cosmic proportions. And so it’s either now or so much later…

“… it’ll be too late to do any good.” I cast a glance his way. He wasn’t white knuckling the steering wheel anymore, which was good, but he still looked too tense. In the old days, I would’ve rubbed his shoulders… which always led to things best left to those old days. “I can’t believe this Efreet thing is bad enough to scare the crap out of genies. Aren’t we like the top of the supernatural food chain?”

“If you really think that, we need to talk.”

“I’m kidding,” I said. I wasn’t, but I didn’t want to get into one of his talks right that moment. I’d let him explain what he meant at a later date. “So these things are pretty bad ass?”

“The fear has less to do with how bad-ass they are then what they potentially represent.” I opened my mouth to ask what he meant, but he thundered on. “The last time the djinn ran up against an Efreet was the nineteenth century—at least as far as any of us knows. If this new friend of yours is any indication, Babydoll, they could’ve been hiding in the shadows all along.”

I hope you enjoyed it.  With any luck, someday you might be able to buy a copy.  For now, though, you'll have to be content with the little unpublished snippets.  ;o)

2 comments:

  1. Finally, I'm here :) And I loved it (you know I love this book and I know one day we will be holding it in our hands). This is my favorite line:

    In the old days, I would’ve rubbed his shoulders… which always led to things best left to those old days.

    I'll play along starting next week - new year, new routine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! And thank you. I can't wait 'til you play along, too. =o)

    ReplyDelete