Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The Best Laid Plans of Mousy Writers

Well, it's officially been more than two months since I sold a book and nearly two months since anyone read any of my books in the KU program.  (Not counting the 30-something pages someone read last week because it wasn't a whole book.) 

True, I haven't really done much to sell books.  And lord knows, I haven't been writing any books.  I did release a book in May, hence the sales two months ago.  (I didn't sell anything in April.)  I sold two copies of that book.  One of which was to myself.  Someone read the book in KU.  I marketed that book a little to the sound of crickets.  Book Two in a three book series when the third book hasn't been written yet is always a dud sale.

I'm not whining.  I'm just stating facts.  It is what it is. 

I'd blame the virus, but bhis was not looking like a banner year for sales even before the 'rona arrived.  Last year, I released zero books, and while I did do a lot of marketing last year, I cleared very little above what I paid for advertising.  I have, perhaps, reached saturation with the current buying pool for newsletters I put ads in with the books I already have published. 

Oh, I had plans to make this year better.  If I had stuck to my goals, I would already have two books published and be well on my way to completing another book.  If I hadn't been derailed, I might've been marketing.  Like I said, I got one book finished earlier in the year and published in early May - thanks to my friends who helped there and to those who bought and/or reviewed. 

Right now, I can't seem to muster the will to do anything toward my publishing goals.  Looking ahead, things don't seem in a position to improve.  I keep telling myself this has to get better, but without anything to back that up, I'm just blowing smoke up my own ass.  I have to work to make it better and I'm just not in the mindset to do the work. 

Whatever's happening in the world, that's on me.

2 comments:

  1. Publishing is the key. Sadly. Because I'm not hitting those personal goals either. New books create backlist sales. That was apparent with my Feb. release. Ideally, I'd love to have a book a month. Not happening, but the authors who can churn them out are hitting all the lists and sales numbers. Makes me sad and depressed. For two years. I really need to get my head screwed on straight and get shit done. With LG officially retired, my royalties are even more important. But I recognize your pain, sister. Totally. Good thing we don't live close. We'd sit on the deck drinking coffee, you smoking, and grouse about how lame we are.

    I was hoping to generate some interest with my June release, especially taking it wide but...well. I need to go back to writing quick, short, punchy books.

    I'm working my head space while sitting--virtually--on your deck, drinkign coffee. Lets get off our butts and start spitting out words? I'm gonna try. Hang in there! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Silver about publishing being key. But this is a tough time for focus for everyone! Hope things start looking up soon.

    ReplyDelete