Wednesday, November 8, 2017

NaNoWriMo: Still No, But...

If you're participating in NaNoWriMo this year you should be at 13350 or so by the end of tonight.  I am still not participating.  But...

Last night as I was trying to go to sleep, my brain started playing with the next Dennis Haggarty book.  I already had the general premise laid out, but not enough that it was blowing my skirt up enough to write it.  Last night?  My silly brain figured it out.  I dragged my butt out of bed and wandered over here to write it down. 

You see, I had this idea that Dennis goes off to a conference of rural police chiefs, and I was trying to think of exactly which little town in CO I would drop the conference into.  Then it occurred to me - drop the conference into Last Ditch. 

Okay, that was a good idea.  Not worth dragging my butt out of bed for, though.  I'd remember that one.  What got me out of bed was the acronym for the conference... CARPAC.  The Colorado Association of Rural Police Administrators & Chiefs*.

I never would've remembered that if I hadn't written it down.  And just like that, I'm excited about writing this.  Silly what lights the fire sometimes, eh?

So, I'm still not doing NaNo, but I may be writing this month after all.  In fact, if I start this now, I could have the first draft done by the end of the year.  Maybe.  We'll see.

What silly things have lit your fire?


*Yeah, it's lame, but sometimes the hoops people jump through to make an acronym are lame, so it works in its own weird way. 

3 comments:

  1. Starting this morning's writing session at 18,864 words. If I stay focused (HA!), I might get two chapters done today, which would be approximately 5K words. I'm pushing to do a chapter a day because... DEADLINE!!!

    CARPAC! Love it!!! I had more trouble coming up with MAGIC in the Penumbra books. Sometimes it's a whole lot easier to start with the name and see what happens with the acronym than to start with the acronym and figure out the name. LOLOL

    Light my fire? I don't get much of that. I get AH-HA!!!!! moments and I'll jot down notes. I have a notebook next to the bed and if you saw my FB live, you saw the "writing boards" next to my desk full of Post-its and white-board notes. My latest came yesterday when I was reading over the revised notes/synopsis (which took four times to get right *headdesk*) and there's an external conflict where a tabloid accuses the hero of something not cool and the reporter flipped her perfect blonde hair and arched a perfectly shaped brow at me and said, "Ahem." Remember the reporter from THE BOSS AND HIS COWGIRL? *HUGE GRIN* Yeah. But that's an ah-ha not a fire. And it's not time for her to show up yet so I made note and moved on.

    Now it's time to get started on that 5K words today. Right after I watch the sun come up with my second cup of coffee. Oh, and yeah, I want to read Dennis' new book. I think one of the chiefs should be murdered. Nothing like all those top cops running around mucking things up. *doubles over laughing*

    ReplyDelete
  2. One step ahead of you, my friend. Already have a chief in mind to die, too. Remember the one from AD? Bwa ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured that's the direction you were going and the jerk from AD? AHHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah. He'd make a good corpse. ;)

    ReplyDelete