Monday, September 28, 2020

Edit Brain

You know you've been working on edits to the exclusion of everything else when you find yourself editing everything.

- books you're trying to read for pleasure
- the ticker on the bottom of the news channels
- the newspaper
- your thoughts
- the things your friends and family are saying
- other people's Facebook posts, blogs, tweets, etc.
- websites you're visiting

I've entered and deleted numerous sentences and paragraphs just* trying to write this blog post.  And I don't usually worry too much about editing blog posts.  Is this right?  Is that right?  Could it be clearer?  What if I worded it that way?  No, that way was wrong, go back to the other way.  Blerg.

This, of course, is known as edit brain.  For those of you who might not be writers, it's a malady we get when we're editing.  Bear with us.  And yes, I will be mentally editing your comments.  I can't help it.  Don't worry, though, I won't say anything out loud about it.  I'm trapped in edit brain, but I'm not rude.  Geez.

Although, to be honest, sometimes when I'm cursed with edit brain, I do say things without thinking about them.  Which is only a problem for people I may be conversing with.  Lucky you, you're only reading my thoughts, not hearing them in person.  (Lucky me, Hubs is used to it.)

On a positive note, I should be done with this edit pass today.  On the other hand, I'll start the next edit pass tomorrow.  Once this goes out to the proofers, I'll chill out.  Maybe.  You never know with edit brain.  Sometimes it lingers.

*When editing, words like JUST stand out like a big, ol', red splotch on the tip of my nose. 

2 comments:

  1. Just to make sure that you're just, you know, editing this just so you can just do it.... *ducks and runs*

    Sorry. I know exactly what you're saying except I tend to proofread, especially if it's like, you know, NEWS sites! Jeez. They have freaking degrees in journalism or should have. Some of the so-called reporters out there make me wonder. Anyway, yeah...and not only to I edit the written word, I edit what they say out loud because some of the stuff that comes out? And I don't mean their agendas, just the misuse of the English language... Gah! This is what happens when you mix stickler English teachers with very proper speech teachers. 🤣

    Anyway, you edit, I'll write and we'll celebrate each other's accomplishments when we're done! 🐱‍💻

    ReplyDelete
  2. I edit the news, too. And I proofread every book, and mentally scold the editors. Heck, I'm currently rereading a 30-year-old book, and I'm still sighing at the proofreading.

    What's worse, I'm technically not in edit mode. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete