Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Early Editing

Good Mornin', Everybuddy,

Since I am editing - slowly, but still - I thought I'd drop some edit notes down for you.

This is for Early Grave...

>> Rewrite beginning. Make stronger.
>> If they're in the common area, Tess can't grab the quilt off a chest.
>> Mr. Harpton?  Ah, the groper.  Make these two separate people.
>> paychecks calling to Tess.
     ^ Not. She's living off inheritance.
> what she suffered through  (Tess
> whether he had any  (he would have
>> Add more descriptors to beg. Ch 2
>> the word of one woman
      ^ Nope. One detective, etc.
>> 13 old people @ 3 facilities?
>> His mother raised him to think
   ^ grandmother
   ^^ fix whole 'mom' thing
> Laurel Matthews?  Corey?
>> pissing contest in the first ten
    ^ make stronger
>> Eva Brown?? Seriously?  (Yes, played with it on purpose later.
>> You mention going to the funerals but never show it.  Why?
>> No page break before Ch4

That's most of the first page of notes - with super spoilery ones left out .  I realize it probably looks weird and isn't very understandable, but you get the gist of what my edit notes to myself look like.  Early on, I don't make a whole lot of notes about grammar.  I'm hitting the high spots on the first run through.  Grammar will come later after I tackle the big stuff - since I will probably insert even more typos and mistakes during the big edits.

Any questions?

2 comments:

  1. I'm always fascinated by the process used by other authors. It seems pretty straight forward to me. I do something similar during the first draft. Scrivener has a project column where I can drop notes to follow-up on. I'd be lost without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Yeah, this is total first draft notes. I get way more detailed in later drafts. I'd try Scrivener, but I'm set in my ways and don't want to learn anything new if I don't have to. Grumpy old fart that I'm turning into and all that, doncha know. ;o)

      Delete