Friday, July 5, 2019

Talking about Project Hermes

Since Project Hermes (originally published as Blood Flow) is on sale this week, I thought I'd take some time to talk about it this morning.

I started PH in early March of 2007.  The old filename is just Nano (short for Nanotechnology) and it started out with an emergency room doctor as the MC.  Over the next two years, I tried writing it 7 different times and it eventually morphed into something completely different.  So, the actual first draft of the book wasn't completed until March 7th, 2009.

I wanted to write a book about the immigration crisis (2007-2019 shows you how long that has been a crisis, eh?) and it is that, but it's also a book about handing the government the keys and letting them do whatever they want without really questioning it.  Which can be particularly sticky when the govt uses an actual crisis to play games with people's lives.  Or when one person in power uses it to try and get more power.

It centers around one disgraced agent who's given a case no one really gives a shit about - a car accident in which a senator's wife is killed.  But the senator is pushing for an investigation and, well, they've got to make it look good but they don't really want to waste resources on it.  So, they give it to Randi.  Except Randi's not one to just sweep anything under the rug.  She actually investigates and finds a trail leading to a much larger conspiracy, which leads to a much larger conspiracy, which leads to... Well, you'll have to read the book.

Anyway, I'm told it's pretty fast paced and exciting.  It's stand alone, so you don't have to worry about it not getting wrapped up.  I tried thinking of other things Randi could investigate, came up with nothing, and left it there.  Don't look for a sequel.  There isn't one in the works.  Or even on the back-burners of my brain.

This was the fourth book I published.  Despite the awesome feedback I got, it never really took off the way I thought it would.  So, I changed the cover and the title, hoping that would help.  I mean, Blood Flow fits, but it's not really grabby.  Project Hermes?  :shrug: 

I still love the book.  And I'll keep trying to get in front of people. 

I hope you'll give it a try and love it as much as I do.

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Part political thriller, part conspiracy theory, part alternate future, it is well worth reading. I wish more people would find it, too. 😕 Keeping my fingers crossed that it finds the audience it deserves! 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Silver!

      Heh, you and me both. And the same with your books. More people need to read those. They're awesome.

      Delete