Friday, March 18, 2022

Blurby McBlurberson

 Here's the blurb I came up with for SONG OF STORM AND SHROUD.  It sucks, but I think you get the general idea...

Before anyone who lives in these lands was born, the Great Lady created the Shrouds and locked away those beings who would bring harm to her children.  Since then the Lady sleeps and while she sleeps, the Shrouds decay, loosing monsters upon the innocents.  Their only hope lies with the mages.

Aryl never wanted to be a mage, but the Lady chose to gift him and when the King's envoy arrives seeking those with the gift, he has no choice but to comply.  Thrust into the Academy to train with other young folk like him, he longs only for his home and the twin he left behind. 

The Lady could grant both of his wishes, but the cost may be higher than he expected to pay.  With Lyra beside him, they will learn to use their combined magics to fight and win.  But when visions of a dragon and destruction tear them away from their training, their meager skills may not be enough to save their home, let alone sufficient to save the Shroudlands.   

Yeah, I know, but I am clueless when it comes to writing blurbs.  Especially this one.  Do your worst.  One way or another I have to have something to toss up as marketing copy when I upload the book.  

On another note, I found something in the manuscript last night that I think requires an explanation I hadn't provided before.  Derp.  I'm working on it now.  If I can stop the distractions, that is.  It's a very distracty-full morning.

I'm still hoping to have this live on or before April 1st.  I worked on it all morning yesterday, took the afternoon off, and got back at it after dinner.  I want all my books to be the best they can be, but this one especially.  And, if you haven't written fantasy, it's probably the hardest genre to nail.  I know it's the hardest book I've ever worked on.

Anyway, I should toddle off and see if I can't weave this thing in and make it seamless.    

2 comments:

  1. Okay. You know I had blurbs as much--if not MORE!!--than the next author. But here's something to play around with:

    In the beginning there was song…
    The Great Lady looked upon this land but it was not safe for her children. She created the Shrouds to protect them, imprisoning all beings who would bring her people harm. Then she slept.

    Now the storm rages…
    The Shrouds are shredding. Monsters slip through to attack. The King needs mages to combat the magic so his envoy searches all the lands for young people who can be trained. Aryl is one of the chosen but he is forced to leave his beloved twin behind because he got the magic meant for them both and she has none.

    The kingdom is shrouded in secrets but it’s not until Aryl and Lyra are reunited that there is real hope for victory. Will these two young people and their fellow trainees be enough to defeat the powers of darkness? Can this ragtag team of new mages save the Shroudlands? Only the Great Lady knows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd leave off the first paragraph. It gives away too much too early. My take with a few tweaks:

    Aryl never wanted to be a mage, but the Lady chose to gift him with the magic to protect his homeland. When the King's envoy arrives seeking those with the gift, he has no choice but to comply. Thrust into the Academy to train with other young folk like him, he longs only for his home and the twin he left behind.

    The Lady could grant both of his wishes, but the cost may be higher than he expected to pay. With his ungifted twin finally beside him, he must learn to use the magic to fight and win. But visions of a dragon and destruction tear them away from their training, and their meager skills may not be enough to save their home, let alone sufficient to save the Shroudlands.

    ReplyDelete