Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Formatting for Print

I'm formatting for print today.  Fun fun fun.  

In case you weren't aware, I almost never use smaller than 11pt font in my print books.  I think I did 10pt once to try and keep the price reasonable, but that's it.  If I don't want to go blind trying to read tiny print, I'm sure as hell not going to subject you to that either.

It occurs to me that if I am going to venture into young adult, I probably shouldn't swear so much on my blog.  :shrug:  There are no swear words in SONG, except for the curses they use in that world.  Blast, blaze, etc.  Nothing you wouldn't want your kiddies reading in there.  Here?  Umm...  Parental Guidance is suggested for this blog - language, sometimes violence and adult themes.  No sex.

Chances are that the kids reading this particular book are old enough to have seen and heard many nasty words by this point in their lives.  Probably said a few, too.  Still, I didn't want that for this book, so it's not there.  I might've used damn... :shrug:

Anyway, I should be done with the print formatting and uploading today.  Then I have to wait for my proof copy to arrive and verify it's all good.  Then it'll be available for sale.  Right now, it's looking like it's going to be 424 pages.  Probably like $14-$17 a copy US and near to that elsewhere.  I try to keep them as cheap as I can and still make it worth my while to make print copies available.

Anyway... back at it.

What are you up to today?  How do you feel about print copy books?  Do you think I should try out Amazon's new 'hardcover' option?

2 comments:

  1. I love owning print copies that I can go back to any time I want. And enjoy it more: Reading on the computer automatically puts me into edit or proofread mode.

    I pre-format my books for print, and have to back-format for digital. My brain just works that way. I agree, tiny print will drive off many of your readers.

    I haven't even looked into hardcover. I'm guessing it's too expensive to bother with. Plus I don't buy hardcovers, except for the rare reference book.

    I didn't notice any offensive language in SSS, but as I get older I've gotten more tolerant/able to ignore "foul" language. I know, I'm hopelessly old-fashioned. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to hit up revisions on the other 3 books that the reverts tomorrow. However, my brain isn't braining well. And I have an anxcious dog under my desk with the office door closed so LG can get some rest. Between his eye injury, the minor foot procedure done this morning and the migraine he now has, he deserves some quiet time. He deals with Boone during the night so I can sleep*. Turn about and all that.

    Good luck with the formatting. I really need to make time to finish that up for most of mine but part of that is waiting for Only to get a bit more control of her life and time so she can do the print covers for me.

    It's Wednesday, isn't it? Okay. Off to do something. Not sure what, but something.

    *He falls asleep easier during the day than I do, hence him taking the night shift.

    ReplyDelete