Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Decisions, Decisions

Night before last, I started the sequel to Song of Storm and Shroud.  Last night, I got the last of my edit notes from the beta readers.  Needless to say, the new words are on hold so I can finish the edits and get this puppy ready to launch.  I also need to do a blurb.  Both of those together shouldn't take me too awfully long, so the question now is: Do I upload it and let it launch immediately?  Or do I upload it and set it for pre-order?  

I've heard pre-order can create buzz and interest in your book.  Not sure how that works versus actually having the book available for people to read.  Personally, I don't do pre-orders because I don't like things coming out of my bank account all willy-nilly.  And I don't like waiting.  If I order the book, I want the book now.  (For ebooks.  Obviously, I am capable of waiting on a print copy to arrive.)

Speaking of print, there will be one.  If I upload and set to order immediately, the print will probably be a bit behind that because I have to wait for a proof copy to be delivered and then approve that before I can set it for sale.  

Of course, if I set the ebook to pre-order, I could have the print stuff done and ready to go live when the ebook goes live.  Decisions decisions.

But, I lack patience.  So, this sucker may just go live when I upload it.  I want all of you to be able to read it as soon as humanly possible.  I'm so excited about this book.  I hope you will be, too.


2 comments:

  1. Gah. Let's not discuss print versions. I need to take like a month and do nothing but covers and formatting for a whole bunch of books. Not that I sell many. And I think I only make a few cents because I keep them as cheap as possible. Other revisions first. Though I do have some already formatted but waiting on cover artist to ge me the print covers. Anyway.

    I suspect you'll release it when it's ready to go though there is a perk to releasing on April fool's Day when it comes to advertising and drawing attention to it. My publisher-published books all go on pre-order. And yes, there's a decent chunk of sales on release date. For my self-pubbed stuff? I really haven't seen much difference but then I'm not exactly a marketing genius so there's that.

    I'm just excited that it'll be available soon! It is an AWESOME story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of pre-order, for two reasons: 1) if I want it, I want to order right then, before I forget it exists. 2) I never received a single pre-order when I tried it. Though I'm sure it works far better with BIG NAMES, which I'll never be. :-)

    Yay for your Shroudlands novels! I enjoyed the first one enormously!

    ReplyDelete