Friday, September 25, 2020

Slogging Through

 I wish I had something brilliant and witty to say this morning.  But in a nod to Keanu Reeves in The Replacements, brilliant and witty just isn't my style today.

I think about 90% of the writing process is slogging through.  You get about 10% of glorious, flowing writing and sparkling clarity during edits.  The rest is putting one foot in front of the other getting the words down and fixing what ain't quite right.  And that's not counting the time you put into marketing and publishing.

This ain't for the weak or the fainthearted.  And I am both.  Some days.  That's not slamming myself.  It's just being real.  If I wasn't occasionally weak and fainthearted, this book would be done and in the hands of readers by now.

The point is, I'm not like that all the time.  I have to remind myself that this is the fifteenth book I'm working on getting published.  Fifteen.  I wrote all those books and more.  I might fall down occasionally, but I keep getting up and moving forward.  The movement might be slow sometimes, but it's movement.  

So, I'm slogging through.  The edits are going slow.  Right now, I can only manage to get through one page of notes before I want to run screaming through the forest.  These next three days, I will make myself do a page and then take a break, and then do a page and take a break, until the remaining pages are finished and I can start the process over again.  The next pass will go quicker.  It always does.


2 comments:

  1. Upward and onward, my friend! I'm slogging right there with you. And yeah, I've been slogging through the negative headspace for 2 years now. I gotta get over that. And I will. I gotta stop letting the world harsh my mellow. I let it and need to halt that process right now. I was charging through yesterday and then something derailed me. In the middle of a scene. In the middle of a sentence. And after staring at it this morning, I retreated to the internet. Gotta stop doing that too.

    Get through your edits and passes and then pass the book along. I'm going to take my own advice and get the sucker written, edited, published, and start the next one. And the one after. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

    "Aye, Cap'n! I'm givin' 'er all she's got!" Just call me Scotty. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slogging is all we can do some days. Or for certain projects (looking at you, illustrations), some years. Keep on keeping on! We'll get there.

    ReplyDelete