Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Self-Publishing Pros & Cons

I've probably done this before, but I think it's probably time again to list the Pros and the Cons of self-publishing.

Pros:
- No one tells me what to write.
- No one tells me what to publish.
- I don't have to worry about my editor 'changing houses'. 
- No agent necessary.
- I don't have to worry about my publisher closing its doors.
- I don't have to worry about my publisher making silly business decisions.
- I can set reasonable prices for my books so people like me can afford them.
- I set my own schedule.
- I don't have to worry about getting scammed by untrustworthy publishers.
- The market tells me whether I've made the right decision about what to write and what to publish.
- I never have to wonder whether someone will release the rights of my books to me.
- I don't have to give anyone a percentage of my earnings.
- I get to be a hermit and still sell books.


Cons:
- I have to worry about everything, from writing and editing to marketing to accounting to personnel.
- The market is hard to figure out.
- If I fuck up, it's all on me.
- Sometimes I make silly business decisions.
- I have to pay for editing and cover art myself.
- I'm the one who has to run around figuring out how to pay for all this.
- Sometimes being a hermit clashes with the goal of selling books.

Sometimes the Cons outweigh the Pros, but for the most part, the Pros win every time.  Of course, your mileage may vary.

Did I miss anything?  Feel free to add your own pros/cons in the comments.  =o)

6 comments:

  1. Pros: you can expand your book into numerous formats: translations, audio, paperback, hardcover. And you can make them available internationally.

    The pros do win every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one, Elizabeth! I love the international thing, even if I don't do translations yet.

      Exactly!

      Delete
  2. Nope. I think you pretty much covered it all. :)

    And may I say, I'm really glad you decided to "jump off the cliff." I <3 your books!

    ReplyDelete