Monday, July 31, 2017

Pink Sticky Notes

I have sticky notes all over my desk right now.  Each one has a little piece of plot or something I need to remember to weave into the story on it. 

'When's Josh's funeral? Jeni needs to be there' is one of them.  Another says 'Rose shows up @ Gus' house early the next morning'.

The others have spoilers, or I'd share them, too.

Their pinkness isn't a thing.  Or rather it's an unintentional thing.  Pink just happened to be the color I grabbed when I went into the sticky-note receptacle.  It fits, though.  I think Jeni would appreciate the pink. 

I write the stickies when I get a flash of insight - during the day, when I'm trying to sleep, in the middle of the night... Whenever I think of something I want to do but I'm not in a position to actually do it. 

I usually toss them once I've put the idea into the book.  This last one will probably sit here until the end because it's basically the end of the book, jotted out in tiny writing on a little pink square. The others?  I haven't tossed them yet because I'm lazy.

Maybe it's my subconscious wanting to be surrounded by good ideas and proof I'm working again.  ;o)

Anyway, sometime today I have to decide if I'm going to set Sleeping Ugly aside to focus on the edits for Wish Hits the Fan or whether I'm going to do the edits during the day and write new words at night.  I've done it before, but I'm not as crazy as I used to be.  I'm so close to the end of SU I might just go for it.  Final climax and denouement.  How long those will take?  You got me.  Another 10K maybe?  We'll see. 

This is an ugly little draft right now.  Just thinking about editing it makes me want to hide. 

Anyway, time to take my coffee and my sticky notes and create worlds.  Have an awesome day everyone.

And tell me.... Do you use sticky notes?  I'm so glad Romy invented them. 

Bonus points if you got that last silly bit there. 

And yes, I know some dudes at 3M actually invented them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a Scrivener fan, so I'll put notes and ideas in the little section built for that. Or I'll create a new chapter with a title like "Ronnie Charlie", and the first few lines are "R's military takedown of C as he snoops, D shows up and they have a conversation that ends on a genial note, as both C and D have something to gain from the other (more flies with honey than vinegar), R and C share a quickie at a later date." Then I'll figure out where it best goes. Which makes me a pantser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about Scrivener. I guess I'm just old school. Yay that it's working for you! =o)

      Delete