Monday, November 28, 2016

Done... With That Anyway

Last night, I finished the first draft of Natural Causes (Dennis Haggarty #2).  It weighs in at just under 60K words. 

I started this book in May of 2015 and then stalled amidst the whirlwind of trying to get Wish in One Hand published.  So, I started back into it last month with around 14K words and went from there.  Between October 16th and November 27th, I did about 46K. 

Not quite up to the speed of NaNoWriMo, but since this is the first time I've written anything new with any real commitment since godonlyknowswhen, I'll take it.

As I told someone earlier today, this is an ugly SOB.  If you read it now, you'd want to take a baseball bat to me.  Things happen at the beginning that make no sense by the end.  Things happen at the end that I need to weave through the previous pages.  It's pretty awful.  But I dropped notes for myself in the story so I'd remember to fix some things here and there.  And hey, that's what editing is for, right?

Still don't have a firm timeline for the release of this.  Or even if this will be released next.  :shrug: 

But it's done.  And that's the important part.  You can't fix what ain't written. 

How's your work going for you?

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!! That must be a huge monkey off your back - and a real boost for your writerly self-confidence. Well done, B.E.!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayayayyayayayayyayayay!!!! Very proud of you! And yes, the hard part is done.

    As for your question? Don't ask. *heads back into the cave*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Congratulations! Hey, first drafts are supposed to be ugly. Since you know what needs fixing, the revisions should go quickly.

    I'm three chapters from the end of 5C, with a few notes on things I know need repair. I tend to fix stuff whenever I get stuck going forward. It usually inspires me to jump back to the end and scurry onward. :-)

    ReplyDelete