Wednesday, August 26, 2015

What's Up and What's Next - A Ramble

A while back the CFO and I were talking about the self-publishing business and how to keep the engine running. As in, how to keep a production schedule of a book released every three months when I'm clearly not banging away on the keyboard. As you know Bob, I do have a boatload of books already written, so I could probably publish books for three years straight without ever writing a new word.

"Are all of those books viable?"

"Well, I'd like to think they are."

The reality of it is that while they may all be viable and perfectly wonderful books, they also might not be what the market is looking for.  In fact, right now, I'd say MY market is looking for more of what I've already released.  And in order to give the market what it wants, it means more new words.

And in order to give my soul what it wants, I have to let the market down every now and then.

Wait, what? 

Well, I have a lot of books in me - in a variety of genres.  Generally, the market likes writers to stick to one genre and run with it.  So, I expect certain segments of the market will be let down every now and then by what's ahead.  Sorry about that.  If I do this, then the products you enjoy will be better in the long run, though.  Trust me.

Anyway, I'm just about done with this round of edits on Bloodflow (techno-political-medical suspense - a for-me book) and I'm thinking about what to jump into next.  September is for new words.  In deference to my customers, I'll be working on either the next book in the SCIU series OR the next Dennis Haggarty mystery.

I expect from here on out that's about how it'll work - for-you books put out at regular intervals with for-me books sprinkled here and there.  Hopefully some of you will enjoy the for-me books.  Expand your genres, expand the reading material available to you.  Know what I mean? 

Meanwhile, I'd better get editing so I can send this off to the AWE (Awesome Wonderful Editor-gal) and then set my buns down for some heavy-duty word slinging.

Have an awesome day, Everyone!  And happy reading.  =o)

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed all your books so far, and foresee no problems with future works. Bloodflow is slightly out of my zone, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. You write 'em, I'll read 'em :-)

    ReplyDelete