Monday, June 27, 2022

Not Giving Up... But Conceding

A couple of weeks ago, I made a decision.  With the economy the way it is, and every dollar stretched to its limits but still barely stretching far enough to meet needs, I applied for a job.  Gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do, right?

What does this mean for my goal of writing and publishing?  What does this mean for you as the reader?  It means I will have to find time after work and on the weekends to still get stories written and out there into the world.  

I'm not quitting.  I refuse to either give up or give in.  I'm merely conceding that writing is not bringing in enough money to keep this ship afloat.  Frankly, it never has, but the amounts I made helped.  In a better economy, the help I got from book sales was enough.  It just isn't anymore.  

This has been coming for a while.  Well, pretty much since 2020, but I was mulish.  

I got lucky.  A job opened up that is about a five minute drive from here.  I applied on the 10th, interviewed on the 17th, and started on the 22nd.  I'll get my first paycheck in July and the weight of cashflow will lift from my weary shoulders.  

And I'm glad to do it.  I've only worked three days, but I already love my job.  It's good to get out there and be productive.  

They've had a devil of a time finding employees who 1) want to work and 2) are stable, drug-free, drama-free, non-criminal, and sane.  That's me in a nutshell.  Tada.  I'm set to work 40 hours a week.  I'd work 50 if they let me.  I've never been afraid of work.  Depression makes me lazy sometimes and I tend to lack gumption at home, but in a work environment, I'm the little engine that could.  

Maybe if I could've put that engine to work with the writing, I would've done better.  But that's neither here nor there.  I busted my ass that first year of publishing and got crickets.  I know writers who bust their asses day in and day out, and still aren't making enough to get by.  So, kicking myself about my writing isn't going to help.  

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is I'm still here.  I'm still writing.  As I get things done, I'll get things published.  It'll just be a slow road.  To those readers who were hoping for new books soon, I apologize.  I just hope that by the time I get books done, there will still be people interested in them.  If not, I'll still be a writer.  And also an office assistant.  

How has this economy effected you?  

2 comments:

  1. No need to apologize. Life is what it is and we all do what we can. If I get one new book a year from you, I'll buy it, read it, and enjoy it. And review and talk it up. If it's every two years, same deal. Your books are worth waiting for.

    So happy you love your job. That, and less economic stress, will give you a boost. Been there, done that. I think I have the T-shirt laying around somewhere.

    Anyway, happier you is worth everything! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your books are worth the wait! Your audience will come back with your next publication.

    This is entirely why I gave up on my fiction. My nonfiction is doing okay, plus I'm working so slowly that I don't need to spend much. I'm only allowed to spend a small budget on it, so that's slowed my Victorian magazine addiction. ;-)

    I'm glad you enjoy the new job!

    Except for gas prices, the economy hasn't affected me much. I know things are going up; I just buy more carefully.

    ReplyDelete