Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Writerly Stuff

I think I was supposed to do a post about titles this morning, but I forgot and that one should probably be written ahead of time instead of on the fly.  Right now is definitely 'on the fly'.  LOL

Amazon, in its infinite wisdom, has changed the KDP page for checking out book sales - the Dashboard.  (And even the tiny picture next to my bookmark for them is different, making it so I have to go looking for it instead of going right to it.)  Turds.  I guess, for a limited time, you can still see the data the old way, but I'm not inclined.  If you're landing there for the first time, you might see that some of the metrics have a picture of a lock on them.  Click the lock, fix your preferences, and all will be well.  (It doesn't tell you to do that.  I found out by accident.)

I probably don't need to say this, but I detest change for the sake of change.  We'll see if the Dashboard is actually better or just different.  I'm holding off on my opinion there.

I guess now I could use a sale to show me exactly how it would work in the new Dashboard. :shrug:  If wishes were fishes, we'd all eat like kings.

I don't need to tell you that sales have sucked this year.  Well, ever since I went wide, I guess.  Of course, there's been very little marketing on my part, so that might be a huge factor.  The will to market is a dry, dry well.  As is the budget for marketing.  With no budget, all things markety have to be done by me, and with a dry gumption well... Umm, yah.

Anyway, enough with my whining.  I'm making progress on Shroudlands 2.  Not great leaps and bounds, but progress.  I'm almost at 18K words now.  My brain threw a curve at me last night that I wasn't expecting, so we'll see how that plays out.  Or whether I need to trash that plot path and initiate a do-over.

How are things in your world?

2 comments:

  1. Hrm. I had no locks. Then again, I've clicked on the beta version off and on. I prefer the old style. All the info I need is right there on one page in black and white. I don't need fancy. I need easily assessible data.

    Yeah, sales are sucky. I am--finally--picking up some royalty in some of the wider distribution channels. I went wide because my Amazon sales were falling off anyway.

    I have gotten some new words this week. And I've managed a couple of chapters of revisions. And...I just remembered a line that hit me last night while I was fixing the dogs' dinner that I want to add--if I don't have something similar--in this revision of UNDER THE ASSASSIN'S MOON. I need to go write it down right now.

    Hang in there! And yeah, I totally get where you are right. now. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for progress on Shroudlands 2!

    I detest change for change's sake, but I like *some* of the new dashboard. I do wish I could see the old data, too, as it was easier on my pea brain. Now I need to hunt and hunt (and hunt) for the little bit of info I want.

    We had 1" of rain last night. HOORAY!

    ReplyDelete