Friday, August 7, 2020

Random Writerly Stuffs

First off, anyone who has written and/or published a book during this crap has my admiration.  All along this I've seen new releases.  Don't know how they did it, but kudos to them.  I've only just started getting back to writing and even now, some days are easier than others. 

Second, and totally unrelated to first, if you're going to market your book and use comparisons to other authors, don't just throw out a laundry list of bestseller names.  Do your damn research.  Actually read the books of the authors you're comparing yourself to.  I read an 'if you like... then you'll love me' list the other day that was obviously just someone who went down a list of bestselling urban fantasy authors and threw their names down.  I don't remember all the names now, but I remember being all like 'wait, she doesn't write anything like he does.'  Almost as bad as 'if you like Stephen King and Nora Roberts, you'll love me' kind of thing.  Don't do it.  Fans of the genre will know you're full of shit.

I have the cat to thank for last night's words.  I seriously didn't feel like writing yesterday, so I skipped it entirely.  (And felt guilty about it.)  Then at bedtime, Kira decided she did NOT want to use the litterbox.  (She's old, so we have to make sure she pees before we go to bed.)  So, I sent Hubs off to bed and I stayed up to try again later.  I used that time to write.  When I got done with the scene I was working on, I put her in the litterbox again and she did her business.  Yay.

Seven straight days of writing.  6723 words total for AuGoWriMo.  Unfortunately, I have to do some serious thinking of where I'm headed to next because last night I finished the part I'd planned and have no idea what's next.  There's a thick fog bank between here and the climax.  I'll wade in later.

A writer acquaintance of mine is getting slammed with people spoofing her Facebook account.  I notified her of one the other day wherein said spoofer attempted to friend me.  She posted about another two within the past week.  Not sure what the hell, but please, if you're on FB and you get a friend request from anyone you know or know of, please pay attention.  Each of these instances were close to her name, but not quite.  Easy enough to catch if you're paying attention.  If you EVER get a friend request from me, contact me because it's probably not from me.  I haven't sent a request out in ages.  I usually wait until someone sends me a request.

And that's it for me.  Got any random writerly stuffs to talk about?


4 comments:

  1. You know, I've never done a "if you like, then read me" list. I...can't think of anyone I write like, which was alway something of a problem when querying agents and editors. Or, I might be too uncertain to compare myself. That might be an interesting exercise on my FB page--ask my readers to answer the questions of who I write like and if you read this author, you'll enjoy me.

    Wednesday and Thursday were disappoint word days. I DID get new words down, but only around 1K total for the two days. Gonna try for better today and over the weekend. I'm over 30K on the book now and pushing toward 40K+.

    I don't get the trolls, scammers, and slammers on social media. What a pisser. I don't accept every friend request. If there aren't a lot of people in common, I'm not confirming and even if there are, I double check posts because I have enough negativity and don't feel like adding people diametrically opposed to my basic headspace no matter how much career or acquaintances we have sort of in common.

    And that's about it for me. Got write or take a walk. Stormy is coming today so I need to get ready for him. Hopefully, I'll still manage some new words. LOL

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Kira and new words! I was just wondering how she was doing.

    Oh, your word counter is gone. I rather miss it.

    I won't touch FB, so I'm safe there. I still get friend requests from LinkedIn, and I lost my password to that years ago. Soooo non-social!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't gone, Deb. It was over on my other blog. I rectified the error and it's here now, too.

      Delete