Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Sisyphean Times

This week, I'm feeling a bit like Sisyphus.  If you're not familiar with the dude, the Greek gods punished him by making him roll a boulder up a hill and every time he got to the top, the boulder would roll back down to the bottom.  Gods are kind of assholes that way.

While this editing thing isn't exactly like that, because I don't have to start over, I do feel like I'm taking two steps forward and one step back.  Like a couple days ago, I started out the day with 45 pages left to edit.  I edited 15 pages and when I was done, I had 35 pages left to edit.  45-15=35?  As I said on FB, edit math is not like real math. 

Despite it being frustrating, it's a good thing.  It means I'm adding substance to the book as I go along.  I mean, let's be honest, I write pretty emaciated drafts.  Poor things need meat.  Not fat, muscle. 

When I started this edit of UatB, it was 56K words.  As of last night, it's creeping up on 62K.  Things are richer and fuller now.  So yay.

I have about 21 pages left to edit and then a read through.  Well, 21 pages if I don't find a spot that needs muscle.  We'll see how it goes.  And if I've got to spend a little more time rolling that boulder up the hill, I will.  I still have 4 days to reach my goal of having this ready to go by the end of the month.  The end is in sight. 

And at least I don't feel like the boulder is going to roll over the top of me and smush me flat.

How's it going with you? 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...you're making more progress. I am making a little headway on this middle mess. It's not sagging or anything. It's not anything because the words get stuck between my brain and my fingers. I look at the mishmash and have to resist banging my head. There are new words, but they come hard. And my brain is squirmy. It wants to write something totally new. Not new words on THIS project but something totally NEW! Grrrrr.

    We both shall overcome! Keep at it. Me, too.

    ReplyDelete