Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Writing Speculative Fiction

I started out this morning doing a post about what originally drew me to write speculative fiction - specifically about a dystopian future where something somewhere along the way has gone horribly wrong and the characters have to surmount those obstacles to thrive and survive on their way to possibly correcting whatever went wrong. 

But I'm really not sure why. 

I know I've read a boatload of the genre.  When I was way younger, I read Anthem, Farhenheit 451, Brave New World, 1984... The big ones, of course.  (Some people would think of them as 'the old ones'.)  And a bunch of others I can't remember the titles to.  I've read some of the newer ones, too - The Hunger Games Trilogy, Divergent... along with a few others I also can't remember the names of. 

I've written three in the genre.  Blink of an I was the first.  Unequal was the third.  The second may never see the light of day.  I love it, but the thought of it being out in the world scares me.  :shrug:

They're meaty books, but I like to think they're quick reads.  I know when when someone picks one up in the Kindle Unlimited program, they're usually through the book in 24-48 hours.  A reader started Blink on Sunday and finished in the wee hours of Monday morning.  Always nice to see that kind of turnaround. 

I hope they make people think.  If not, I hope readers are entertained.  I mean, the books have message in them, but the primary goal of this writer is to entertain.  If you think about something along the way, awesome.  If not, that's okay, too.

Anyway, Blink of an I is on sale this week in the US and the UK.  I'd really appreciate it if you pick up a copy, leave a review, tell your friends, etc. 

1 comment:

  1. That kind of turnaround usually means the reader doesn't want to put the book down. That's good! It means you've grabbed their attention. At least, that's what I think.

    I have two dystopian shorts I'd like to put out eventually. They started as entries for an anthology called "The Thin Blue Line." Mine dealt with what happened when the lawless took over because government "killed" law enforcement with PC. I need to figure out either a middle or an end, depending on the story I come up with because the second story could be either one. Someday.

    I LIKE your dystopians/alternative histories. A lot. I have my copies, and I left reviews. I'll pass the word around too. :)

    ReplyDelete