Monday, October 15, 2018

Decision Made - Part Two

If you've been reading along, you know I had a couple decisions to make here.  The first one was whether I would keep stumping along with a book that I just wasn't feeling.  Made that one and stopped work on Ugly and the Beast.  The other decision was whether to keep my reserved spot with my cover artist and what to do with it if I did.

So, over the weekend, my cover artist announced that she's booked through December of 2019.  Which pretty much made the decision about what to do with my October spot for me.  I'm going ahead with the cover of Ugly and the Beast, even though it isn't finished.  It's either that or wait until my spring spot and then not have a spot reserved for Cinder Ugly.  And while I'm behind in writing this series, I do not want to have to wait until 2020 to have a cover.

Yesterday morning, I went through the photo site, picked several poses for the Jeni model, and then picked a couple of other things I'd like to see on the cover.  We'll see what she does with them.

Now I have until February (or was it March?) to figure out what the hell CU is going to be about so I have ideas to send to Jessica. 

Life was so much easier when she wasn't so popular.  I didn't have these scheduling problems when she did the Once Upon a Djinn series.  Ugh.

On the other hand, my cover artist is so good, she's in high demand.  Yay.

On the bright side, looking at photos for UatB kinda makes me want to start writing it again.  Too bad I have the edits for Unequal to focus on right now.  Maybe I'll make finishing the damn book my NaNoWriMo project. 

:shrug:

6 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat--I have my covers done about a year in advance. I write back cover copy, give the designer some ideas for cover elements (murder weapons and whatnot) and then just write whatever I put in the cover copy when that time comes around. Not ideal, but definitely keeps me on schedule (besides, it was the same schedule Penguin had me on back in the day).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack. Just the thought of that sends me into spasms. Good thing I've never had a publisher wanting that. We'd both be unhappy. I admire the hell out of you, and others, who are able to do that, though. But I haven't trained my brain to do it. Not sure if I could.

      Delete
  2. I'm so lucky that Only does my covers! I'm not a planner and trying to think that far in advance makes me want to go hide in the closet with Fraidy Dog and Iffy when she's pouting. Glad your decision is made though and I can't wait to see the covers. Also, I'm so glad my editor and HQN marketing writes the back blurbs for those books. We all know how much I hate (and suck) at writing blurbs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky to have Only. I'm lucky I only use a cover artist for my urban fantasy, or I'd be so screwed. LOL, yep, I know it and I hate writing them, too.

      Delete
  3. Wishing you a brilliant cover!

    I find that having the cover finished inspires me to write more. Just admiring it once in a while keeps me going.

    Hmm. That might be why I'm having trouble with SR. No cover yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb!

      I wish it were the same for me. I'd do covers all the time if it got my gumption to write fired up.

      Well, get crackin' then. ;o)

      Delete