Monday, January 22, 2018

It's a Juggling Act

Right now, I have two books I'm working on.  Blink of an I and Early Grave.  Two totally different books - different tones, different genres, different ideas.  Most likely, two totally different markets. 

I've said it before - I'm an eclectic reader.  At any given time, I'm as likely to pick up a suspense novel as a dystopian or a mystery or a... whatever... to read.  And that reflects in my writing / publishing.  Just as it would kill me to read one genre in succession, I think it would kill me to write one novel after another in one genre.  I think I'd be bored to tears.

But it's not necessarily the best marketing plan.  To be successful - i.e. to sell loads of books - I probably should've written and published one series all the way through before jumping to the next.  Instead, Dying Embers came out in February of 2015, then Fertile Ground in May of 2016, and Early Grave will be out in May or June of 2018.  Accidental Death came out in May of 2015, Natural Causes in February of 2017, and Untitled #3 might be out at the end of this year.  I didn't do much better with my genie series: Wish in One Hand (August 2015), In Deep Wish (February 2016), Up Wish Creek (August 2016), and finally Wish Hits the Fan arrived in September of 2017.  With other books in between each of the successive series title's drop. 

There was no plan.  Not even a best laid plan worthy of a mouse.  It was more like 'this one looks good, let's do that', lather rinse repeat.  Which is why readers are looking at getting a dystopian, a suspense, a paranormal, and perhaps a mystery from me this year.  And why I'm currently driving myself nuts editing a suspense while I'm waiting for the dystopian to come back from my editor.  (Who is a saint that can edit all those different things without going batshit crazy.  I like to think I'm keeping her on her toes.)  It's definitely a juggling act - the one where the guy is keeping a chainsaw, a bowling ball, and a carton of eggs in the air at the same time. 

Anyway, call me crazy, but that's the way I have to do things.  And on the bright side, I'm never bored.  I hope my readers aren't either.  And I hope my crazypantsness encourages readers to step outside their comfortable reading box. 

Outside the Box... get it?

4 comments:

  1. I don't think that's a bad way to go, especially since you've *always* published that way. I'm totally boxed in at this point, although I don't mind the box too much. But I'm reading "Magpie Murders" right now by Horowitz and he writes YA, mystery, and does screenwriting. Kristine Rusch has written for many (all?) the genres and talks a little about branding herself (the struggles and how she clarified it) here: http://bit.ly/2DzBHW8 . I think what you're doing is helping you to stay creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I'm glad you write what you write. Your books are awesome. If you ever decide to go off the rails, though, let me know. I'd love to read it. =o)

      Delete
  2. Got it. And you aren't the only one. Many highly successful authors have concurrent series going and often only publish one book a year in each series. I've been known to do the same thing you're doing. But that's the way my brain is wired. So yeah, totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to be able to put 'highly successful' before 'author', Silver. Sister from another mister again. I figured you'd get it. ;o)

      Delete