Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Tiring Marketing Part

Now I know why some people pay other people to do their marketing.  It's a tiring process.  Tweet, post, chat, blog, respond, comment, submit, lather, rinse, repeat.

But it's necessary.  Because when you stop - even for a day - sales trail off.

I took the weekend off.  I just couldn't bring myself to say another word about anything related to my books.  (Yes, I still tweeted because it takes like 5 seconds - but my tweets were lame because my heart wasn't in it.)

And yes, I realize that if you're following me closely, you may have seen the same sort of tweet, nestled in between witty repartee and interesting information, several times.  Those repetitious tweets aren't for you.  They're for the people who may only read a tweet from me every once in a while.  And for new people.  Do me a favor and ignore them.  I promise not to tweet only about buying my books, but understand those sales tweets have to be sprinkled in there along the way.  Otherwise, B.E. don't sell no books, and no sales means I'll have a harder time publishing more books down the road.  (The well of fundage is not infinite.  It's finite.  Very very finite.)

I want to keep doing this.  I love doing this - even the tiring marketing part.  I have books already lined up and more books coming.  Basically, I want to still be writing and publishing my books when I drop over.  In order to do that, I have to sell books, and in order to sell books, I have to market them.  So, be patient with the commercials.  You never know when one of them is actually telling you something you want to know - like a new widget is out or there's a sale on your favorite widgets, or whatever.  And like I said, I'll try to sprinkle them in with things that are actually enjoyable, interesting, educating, or witty. 

Thanks again for your support.  You rock.

(And no, this post wasn't for my staunch supporters who know me well, but rather for those who don't and might choose to stop following me because they feel like all they're seeing are ads.)

4 comments:

  1. I hear you, loud and clear. Some days I just throw up my hands and say, "fogeddaboutit." (Read that in a thick Bronx accent, please - LOL) I HATE marketing. But I'm not to the place with my sales yet where I can afford someone to tweet and FB and market for me. Some day. That's a goal. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally read it in a Bronx accent before you said to. LOL Yeah, some days it's throw your hands up and walk away. Oh man, isn't that a lovely dream - to have an assistant who tweets and posts and whatevers while we write. "Here, Jeeves, address these postcards to this list of people. Then tweet something witty but ultimately sales-inspiring thrice a day. Refill my coffee. And rub my feet." Okay, so maybe not the foot rubbing part, but still.

      Delete
  2. Wow what a horror. I don't tweet or whatever you call it. Not on facebook, twitter or even instagram, and you know, I can't help feeling thankful I'm not. I don't feel I'm lacking anything and I don't think I'd have the time to do all that, although I do understand how essential it is these days, especially if you want to market your product. I can only stand back in awe, and enjoy the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I had a day-job, Fran, I'd be totally lost trying to do all this marketing stuff, plus write, edit, etc.

      And please, keep enjoying the books. You're the reason we writers aren't starving to death - but literally and figuratively.

      Delete